Long Overdue

(( Timeskip- three days before Thanksgiving break. AKA November 18th.))

The day had been sort of long. Shiro had gotten his work done in near record time in spite of it, though. After taking Adam out for coffee and an honestly heartwarming conversation, he'd returned home. It seemed so empty without Keith around. It was so lonely, and he rarely got visitors.

And that was why it was abnormal when he heard a car door shut in the driveway. He perked up, looking away from the evening news that was playing on the TV. What? He watched it every night like an old person. Yes, he was 26, but Shiro didn't care.

Shiro had been a little paranoid about stuff ever since what happened with the brick getting thrown through the window. It had been months earlier, but that didn't make it any less nerve wracking. He got up, praying that maybe Keith and Lance had gotten to the house early. But the last time Shiro had heard from Keith, they were still an hour or two out. Unless they'd gone ninety miles an hour, there was no way that they'd arrived yet.

He peered through the curtains, seeing that whoever had parked in his driveway had already exited their car. That meant that they were coming to the door.

Shiro examined the car, seeing that it didn't appear to be nice or fancy. It wasn't like the black Cadillac Lance had been run off the road by. It was just a red Chevy Tahoe.

The alpha stepped back, and before he could look through the peephole on the door, the bell chimed two consecutive times. He was startled at first, but then went to peek at whoever it was.

His mouth dropped, almost to the point that it was dangling on the floor from shock. It couldn't be. He had to have been hallucinating. Shiro rubbed his eyes after snapping out of his daze; nope, not a hallucination. She was still there.

Shiro swung the front door open, and a gasp was heard from the other side of the doorframe.

" Takashi..."

" M-Mom...?" Shiro asked in a wavered voice.

What the fuck? What the actual fuck?! His mother didn't seem to have aged much. Her hair was still short and dark colored. She was still tall and slender, yet... she'd gained some muscle. Krolia had bulked up since the last time. Or maybe his memory was fuzzy. After all, it had been almost 20 years.

" I thought maybe I had the wrong house." Krolia's eyes filled with tears that came in bucketfuls. She reached out and ran her hand across Shiro's face. " You've grown so m-much..."

" H-how? What?" Shiro asked.

" I can explain everything." She assured, smiling to herself while blinking back more tears. One of her sons. She stepped in and hugged him, and that was an action that Shiro got caught up in. He couldn't quite move his arms to hug her back, mainly because he was stunted, and his body had forgotten how to function for a moment. " Where's your father?"

Shiro was flabbergasted. One, his mother, someone who had been gone for the majority of his life, was now standing at his doorstep, scratch that, hugging him! And two, she was asking about dad? Did she not... know?

" What are you talking about?" Shiro got enough of a grip to ask. Sure, he was still living in the house, but dad? He was long gone. " Dad is... dad killed himself years ago..." He told her while cringing.

Was there some sort of catch to this? Had she heard about his promotion and come back for that reason? Or was it something else? There were so many questions and uncertainties swirling around in Shiro's head that he couldn't keep track of them all.

Krolia's face sank as she pulled back from the hug.

" What?" She asked. " No! That can't be it! I tried- I got out as soon as I-" She broke down into a fit of sobs.