Promoted

(( I've had awful writers block lately. Sorry for any late updates. But... guess who's in this chapter... drumroll please... read it.))

" I have something to tell you both." Shiro said, sitting across the table from Lance and Keith.

" Lemme guess. Allura got you pregnant?" Lance asked.

" What?!" Shiro's face immediately contorted into an expression that read 'what the fuck.' " No, I can't even get pregnant."

" But you didn't deny the ass fucking part." Keith snickered.

" Our sex life is none of your business. Some of us like to keep that sort of stuff private." Shiro took a sip of his coffee. And Lance opened his mouth to say something, but his face faded into a cringe. He had them there.

" So, what's up?" Keith questioned.

" Well... you see... my boss has fallen very gravely ill. The doctors say he probably won't make it through the night. And even with the unfortunate circumstances, something good came out of it. He called me from the hospital, and explained that he wanted me to take his place at the Garrison. As of late... he's signed the branch over to me." Shiro explained.

" That's great!" Lance exclaimed. " Uh- not that someone is dying- I didn't- um... fuck-"

" Congratulations." Keith cut in.

" Thanks... it's an honor really. I get a corner office and everything." Shiro said, smiling and looking accomplished. He'd made a full comeback from his little fall off the wagon.

" So... what does this mean for us?" Keith raised an eyebrow.

" Well... my salary is going to hit six figures annually. Which means that I can help you guys out a lot more than I would've been able to before." Shiro really did want to assist them. Even though he'd been absolutely livid at first, he'd warmed up to the idea of being an uncle. He was going to spoil them rotten. " You both shouldn't have to pay for everything. Having a baby is expensive."

Keith and Lance looked at each other, then back at Shiro.

Shit.

How could they have forgotten to tell him?

" Um... Shiro..." Keith stammered. And Lance pulled out his wallet, moving to fish out a picture of Keith's first sonogram. Yes. He kept one in there. Don't judge.

Lance slid the picture across the table, and Shiro took it.

" What am I supposed to be-" Shiro asked, squinting to look at it better. " Wait." He paused. " Wait-is this?! Are you?!"

Keith and Lance's hands under the table inched closer, and soon they were intertwined.

" It's twins." Lance beamed.

Shiro looked like he was about to pass out. He blinked a million times, looking at Keith, the picture, Keith, then back at the photo of his future nieces/nephews or niece and nephew. It didn't matter.

" No?! You're kidding, right?!" Shiro exclaimed, and his eyes began tearing up.

" Nope." Keith smiled.

" Oh my God!" Shiro stood up, pacing around for a second. He couldn't seem to get it through his head.

" Are you shook?" Lance asked with a smirk.

Shiro took a few deep breaths, wondering if his lungs were going to collapse.

" Oh my God." He repeated, unable to process it.

" So... is there anything else you wanted to tell us?" Keith inquired, and Shiro tried to get a grip.

" Um... yeah. I- sorry I lost my train of thought." Shiro exhaled sharply. " There's going to be a company dinner. It's really formal, and my coworkers are all allowed to bring a couple family members. I'm bringing Allura, but I also wanted you both to come... it would mean a lot."