V

I can hear Phoebe and Amber humming old One Direction songs from the other room. Ari loved them.

I leave my room to go eat breakfast.

Phoebe mentioned last night that Richard and Gwen would be out on the boat today with Madeleine and Edgar. The kids all slept over last night.

Amber in Phoebe's room. Isaac in Auguste's and Felix and Clement on the couch. Madeleine and Edgar got the other spare room because apparently before I arrived they had two. One on the main floor.

When I walk into the kitchen Grace is in an apron giggling with another girl who I recognize from the Polaroid.

"Oh. Good morning Casey." Grace smiles to me. She puts down her rolling pin on the island. "Émilie this is Casey who I told you about and Casey this is Émilie."

"Nice to meet you," Émilie says. Her accent so thick I barely understand what she says.

"You too," I say back. I walk over to the cereal cupboard.

They go back to laughing and speaking french as Grace rolls out the dough.

I pour the cereal then the milk before I leave the kitchen to sit at the dining table.

A bit later Auguste and Isaac join me at the kitchen table for breakfast. They too have cereal.

"You going to the same high school as them," Isaac asks me, pointing to Auguste.

"I think."

"Well no shit Sherlock, it's not like I go to a french school anymore," Auguste says.

"French emersion?"

"No. French. French emersion is just some subjects in french. A french school is all french," Auguste says, clearly not amused with me.

"Wow, so all four of us graduating this year."

It's quiet except for the giggles through the wall.

"Is that Émilie?" Isaac asks.

"Can you tell?" Auguste says. He's still as miserable as always.

"Wake up on the wrong side of the bed," Isaac jokes.

"Maybe, but someone here takes up the whole bed," Auguste groans.

"Dommage," Isaac says smirking.

Auguste tries not to smile.

"Brat, don't tell me too bad. Next time I'll shove you off the bed."

Didn't they not speak french? Maybe they know a bit.

"You're too weak," Isaac says.

"Crétin you're weaker then me," Auguste says shoving Isaac a bit. Maybe the first time I've seen him genuinely smile.

"Hey stop using words I don't know." Isaac shoves Auguste back. "Eat your breakfast."

"Twit."

"Dolt."

"Airhead."

"Blockhead."

"You two never shut up do you," Clement says from the couch. Auguste? Chatty?

"Shut up child," Auguste yells back.

"You all are annoying," Grace says.

"Ainsi est votre rire!" Auguste says.

Isaac looks to me.

"They switch from french to English a lot. It's hard to follow. I think he just insulted her laugh."