XXXII

"Isaac," I say catching his attention as he walks to his truck.

I haven't spoken to him in a while and I'm not sure why. I don't think Auguste has told him anything yet either.

"Casey."

Hearing his voice makes me miss him. After Poppy and Sebastian's argument in class I haven't spoken to them much either. I've kinda just been avoiding everyone. Sadly Penny has been my only socializing this week outside of talking to Ximena and Auguste.

"Haven't talked much."

"I guess not."

I'm going to miss my bus this is dumb.

"You seem mad?"

"I'm not."

"Is it about Penny?"

"No. I'm not mad. I don't care if you're dating I just don't want to deal with another Auguste and Ximena situation."

My heart drops till I realize he doesn't mean the pregnancy. He means the third wheeling and ditching.

"Well pretty sure that won't be happening because we haven't spoken."

"Been busy. Exam time."

"Exams are in a bit. It's your birthday soon though."

"Like two weeks," Isaac shrugs.

"Yeah I know. I guess that isn't that close. Oh well. I've missed my bus at this point. Want to go somewhere."

Isaac looks around for a sec.

"Sure."

We both get in the truck and Isaac begins to drive somewhere.

Penny: want to go to the movies tn?
Casey: can't

That's so easy. How could Auguste not do that. Instead he has to text Ximena for four hours.

Penny: y not?
Casey: with Isaac
Penny: oh u guys r talking again
Penny: ok but y can't we go later? Ur not going to hang with him all day?
Casey: maybe I will idk

"How often did Auguste ditch you?"

"A lot. That's not even the annoying part. The annoying part is how much time they spend together. He picks her over everything."

"Guess that's what it's like to be in love?"

Penny: c'mon we haven't even been on a second date yet.
Casey: makes sense bc it's only been two weeks
Penny: three
Casey: idk. Maybe if I have time later we can

Snow falls outside and one of Isaac's playlists quietly plays. I forgot how  comforting it is.

"Any new books?" Isaac asks.

"Actually yes. The Secret History by Donna Tarte."

"Oh she wrote The Goldfinch."

"She's a good writer. The Secret History has gotta be one of my favourites now."

"Yeah. The Goldfinch is really good too. The writing style is different then I'm used too and it's really long. In grade ten it took me a good while to get through it."

"I finished The Secret History in no time but I think that's because I haven't gone outside or talked to anyone."

"Yeah I noticed you haven't been sitting with Poppy and Sebastian?"

"Some days I'll go wander off somewhere. Some days Penny will drag me into sitting with her and her friends. They talk to much. And about nothing interesting. For a girl who loves English and history as much as she does, she hangs around rather bland people."

"My table group isn't much better. Besides Auguste, they just talk about assignments and school drama. I think we got into a political discussion once and Mia called Justin Trudeau the president then asked who Doug Ford was."

"You have to deal with Jeremy," I laugh.

"Jeremy tried to convince me it's legal to drink at eighteen where we are. Sometimes I get bored and give them words like eicosapentaenoic or even just random words like constituency to spell.  Hara juku is fun too."

"Jeremy tires me out."

"Oh god me too," Isaac laughs.

We drive and chat for a while. I quickly realize we're going to the coffee shop.

"Guess you really do come here a lot."

"Almost everyday lately. Easier to get homework done. It's quiet and comforting," Isaac says as we pull into the parking lot. "I've gotten to know the workers a bit too."

Once we get out of the truck a cold breeze goes by. Christmas has already flown by and it still shocks me how quick this year has gone by. Not that long ago we'd always sit out in the field to do homework after school (Isaac liked to do that a lot). Sometimes Auguste or Phoebe would join.

I don't want the year to end yet.

"I think I've already told you but they have the best muffins."

"I would've thought Tim Hortons got that award," I joke in a sarcastic tone.

"I could make better muffins."