XXVII

"Christmas eve!" Phoebe hops around the front room excitedly. Grace is home and is baking with Gwen in the kitchen.

Phoebe is sorting though a bin of pjs. Apparently It's tradition that every year they get pyjamas. It used to be that the 'elves' dropped them off on the porch the night of and they'd wear them to bed. The older they got they realized that's not how it is but the tradition continues.

"Guys come get your pyjamas!"

I walk over to her to look in the bin.

"Okay so I don't know which are who's but we've got a crap ton of onesies," Phoebe says.

The others all come in to grab a onesie. All except Auguste who is somewhere.

I grab mine and head upstairs when Penny calls me.

"Hey," she says. Sounding all too excited.

"Hey."

"Happy Christmas Eve," she says.

"Almost Merry Christmas."

"I'm so excited. But I'm also sad because I live for Christmas spirit and everything being Christmas themed."

"Yeah."

"And then after Christmas, winter is just a cold, soulless season."

"The snow makes up for that."

"Yes..." she says. "The freezing cold snow that I have to shovel everyday."

"You don't like snow?"

"Not exactly," she laughs. "I do like hot chocolate though."

"Everyone does. This time of year has the peppermint ones from Tim Hortons."

"Ew, peppermint," she laughs.

"How could you love Christmas but not love peppermint and snow?"

"That's a good question."

Part of me is relieved to just be talking. I do like Penny and like to talk to her. I just don't know how far that extends.

"How about we re-schedule that turtle jacks dinner from a while ago," I say smiling to my wall, feeling like I'm actually doing good.

"Yes. Would it be on different terms?"

I almost scared to say it. I don't want to.

"A dinner date," I say.

Sometimes you don't need to see a person to know they're smiling.

"I think that's a great idea. When do you think?"

"The twenty seventh. Three days."

"What time?"

"Six."

"See you then."

"See you then," I say hanging up.

Couple small problems. I don't know her address nor can I drive. Ah we can take a Uber.

Then Phoebe bursts into my room.

"You," she says snatching my phone from me. "And Auguste need to stop calling your damn girlfriends and spend time with your family."

Looking at her heavy glare I slowly nod my head, reaching for my phone but she moves her hand back.

"Let's go," she says.

I stand up and she places my phone on my desk and leads me out.

Auguste has already made his way down the stairs, no phone in hand, a sign Phoebe already paid him a friendly visit.

"Okay," she says once everyone is in the living room.

"Let's watch a Christmas movie. And lucky for you papa," Phoebe starts as she finds the remote. "The movie will be an english this year, so now you have no excuses for falling asleep."

Phoebe clicks the play button the remote and bounces onto the couch between Grace and Auguste.

I've gotten comfy in the corner of the couch farther away from them. Gwen and Richard are cozied up on the opposite end.

Instead of paying attention I look out the window to my left as the snow falls. A peaceful time to think. No phone on me and no socializing.

After twenty minutes I feel drowsy. My head is resting in my arms and I'm facing the window. It's dark enough in the room I can see the streetlights and neighbourhood outside.

It takes me a while to place the discomfort and stress but I finally realize. I don't think I want to date Penny.

But how could I be sure? She'd said she'd had a crush before. How come I can't say the same?

It doesn't make sense. We get along perfectly well, have the same interests and I genuinely enjoy being around her.

The same goes for Arianna. I still don't know why she kissed me. Why did she feel that way and I didn't? I've known her since grade two.

A loud yell comes from the t.v, somewhat breaking my drowsy state.

I'd rather spend time with Isaac. I don't know what that means.

God. I don't know what the heck anything means.

Then I get sidetracked to a conversation I had today.

We were jokingly arguing over music, trying to convince each other to listen to songs.

I was trying to get him to listen to Khalid and he was trying to get me to listen to ABBA.

Neither of us were successful.

I slowly get tired again and a little bit less stressed.

Probably just because I forgot about Penny.