XXXI

School started back up a bit ago. Arianna left a while ago too and I miss her. I haven't spoken to Isaac much. Penny likes to call me everyday so I've gotten used to talking to her.

"French projects are dumb."

"They're not that bad," Poppy says. "Especially cause we're all partners."

"No it is bad," I say. "You two lazy asses always leave the work to me because I can 'just ask my french siblings'."

"What?" Sebastian says. "It saves us all time."

"For you," I snort. "Phoebe always makes a deal. She does my french and I do her English homework."

"Doesn't she speak English?"

"Seb you dumbass. In English class you don't learn to speak English," Poppy groans.

"Yeah whatever."

"How do you even pass this stuff?"

"I find people like you," Sebastian laughs.

The comment annoys me. Yes he's my friend but he can be a real brat. That's why I do his parts of the project and Phoebe does mine. I suck at french.

"French exams are coming up," Poppy says. "Unfortunately for you, Casey's siblings won't be there to save your ass."

"Relax Poppy. I've already applied to the colleges I want to go to. They won't be looking at my grade twelve grades because the courses aren't finished yet."

I don't even think any of the (local) colleges he applied to even care if he has a sixty average in this class. This class is optional after grade twelve. Why the hell did he take it?

"You don't have a single care in the world about your future," Poppy rolls her eyes.

I always thought she was too smart for Sebastian. I think lately she's gotten over her crush now that they're dating and has realized that he's never going to get anywhere in life.

"I'm just enjoying the ride."

"Yeah. Have fun in ten years living in a dump whilst I have a good paying job and be vacationing in Hawaii."

"Nah you'll bring me along. You got this."

"Nah? Mate I ain't supporting you? You may be able cruise through high school by finding others to climb off of but in the real world nobody got time for you."

I can see Sebastian getting defensive.

"Yeah well I'm good looking and people will date me for that. People will only date you for your money."

"I'm your girlfriend!"

"Neither of those are why you would date a person." I look to Sebastian.

Sebastian looks to me as if I said a joke.

"Yeah Moretz? You gonna wait to fall in love? That's bullshit and—"

"Sebastian you are unbelievable," Poppy says standing up from her desk. "Do the damn project by yourself. I'm working with Casey."

Poppy looks to me for approval and I nod my head.

"And by the way. Maybe I did date you for your looks which spiralled into a huge crush but look who's not sticking around, me. Looks won't get you far, you narcissistic, self absorbed dirt bag."

This catches the teachers attention.

"You're just a jealous whore."

"Jealous of what?!"

They're basically yelling at this point. Poppy has her fists slammed down on the desk and I stand awkwardly beside her as the french teacher marches over.

"Enough!" She demands.

"You're jealous of all the girls that DM me. Hah well I texted most of them back."

"You're a disgusting idiot and you will never get anywhere in life with your small dick."

People quietly snicker.

"Enough!" Madam shouts.

Everyone watches.

"Both of you! Office now!"

After that the class is dead silent. The minute Madam leaves to escort them to the office, the class breaks out in chatter about what just happened.

Eventually Madam comes back and the silence returns. With nothing on the project done I get bored. I leave to go to the bathroom.

I walk in the washroom and stand around for a minute not sure what to do. When I realize someone else is in here I wash my hands to busy myself.

Eventually the stall opens up and I see Auguste. His eyes are puffy red and he looks very distressed.

"Auguste? What the heck? Are you okay?"

"Casey," he says.

"What's wrong?" I drop my bag and rush over to him. "Is it about Ximena."

He nods his head.

"What's wrong?"

"I don't know what to do," he says quietly.

"It's okay. She was just a high school fling anyway."

"No no. You don't get it Casey," Auguste looks to me. "Ximena's pregnant, with my child."

"Woah. What?"

"She already told me she's keeping the baby and nothing I say can change that. Which I'm fine with I guess. But Casey. I'm going to be a dad."

I stand in disbelief.

Why do I always gotta be the first siblings to know their drama.

"Maman is going to kill me! Oh my god she's going to go on and on about university and—"

"Yeah but Gwen isn't the main worry," I say. "What about Ximena? She's the one giving birth and the baby would live with her. How's she going to go to school and support the baby? Are you going to help?"

"Of course!" Auguste says. "This is my kid. That's so weird to say. No no no this is too much."

He runs his fingers through his hair.

"Who have you told?"

"No one. She told me this morning and it has thrown my day off... a bit."

"You gotta come up with a plan," I say. "Because this can't change the rest of your lives in a negative way. Now you've just got to work out a schedule with the baby."

Auguste stays quiet.

"How many months is she?"

"I don't know."

"Well can you estimate? Based on the last time you... you know?"

"I don't know Casey."

Jesus fuck, that often?

"Okay well she definitely needs to see a doctor to get check ups because teen pregnancies can be really rocky and doesn't she need like prenatal shots?"

"Casey I don't know! I don't know anything about this."

"Then you need to talk to her. Like right after school. You can't hide this Auguste. It brings no good."

"Maman will kill me." He speaks so quietly.

"Grace had her announcement to Gwen and it went pretty well. Sure Grace left for a while but in the end Gwen cared about Grace and her well being rather then her having a girlfriend."

Auguste looks to me, breathing slower.

"I'm going to be a dad. Oh god. Congrats Casey, you're going to be an uncle."