XXXIX

"Ximena said we should all go to the movies tonight," Penny says. We're sitting on the couch.

Everyone's home and is somewhere in the house.

"Who would all go?" I ask.

"Auguste and Ximena. Although Ximena was saying Auguste wanted to invite Isaac to more things so maybe Isaac. Also then maybe Phoebe so he doesn't feel like a third wheel."

Is inviting Isaac to something that Penny and I would almost consider a date evil?

I shouldn't even be with Penny.

"Sound good?" She asks grabbing my attention again.

"Well it's not a date if they all come?"

"I mean, that's fine isn't it? There's lot of movies out right now that I want to see."

How much money does she think I have? I don't have a job. Not that I need one because I have a guilty father who loves throwing away cash.

"Yeah I suppose," I say. 

She leans on my shoulder.

"Your hair smells nice."

I want her off me.

"I used Phoebe's shampoo," I say.

She turns my head, with her finger on my jaw, to face her. She leans in and kisses me.

Slow and painful.

I can't do this to her. I do anyway.

"Okay you two," Auguste coughs. He stands in the doorframe to the living room with his keys in hand.

"Won't be seeing me getting her pregnant," I say.

He raises an eyebrow.

"Well you're friendly tonight aren't you."

"I'm ready," Phoebe's voice echoes through the house from upstairs. She bounces down the stairs and we all wait.

"Let's go," Auguste says.

We all get our shoes on and then get in the car. Shotgun is saved for Ximena.

"Isaac will meet us there."

We go pick up Ximena then drive to the movies. The others chat but I'm really not in the mood for it.

I should be studying. Especially because out of all of us, I need to do the best on these exams. I mean my marks have been high eighties, low nineties all year but it doesn't make up for every other year.

We arrive with forty minutes extra so we go to Indigo.

"Feels weird to be on the other side of things," Penny jokes as we walk in the Indigo. Last time we were here she was shopping whilst we all played. "Does this mean we get to play hide and seek?"

"Yeah."

"One, two, three not me!" Auguste says for once.

We all say it except Penny.

"Hah!" Phoebe says. "A minute twenty seconds. Start now."

We all scatter off.

This time I go to the on sale section. I quickly scan the books before moving over to the poetry and letters section.

I get distracted from the game when I see a book. I kneel down and start to read the first chapter a bit.

"That's a good book."

I drop the book, startled, and look up.

"Jesus fuck Isaac."

"What? It is a good book."