VII

I fiddle with a pen as we all sit at a restaurant.

Richard and Gwen are talking about business things while Phoebe giggles beside me.

"What?" I ask.

"I just find it funny about how both of you draw on napkins when at restaurants." Phoebe leans back and I can see Auguste next to her doodling on a napkin.

I see Grace, who sits across from me, with a faint smile.

"You sure you still want to camp?" Grace asks.

"Yeah I'm excited. Though maman is only letting Isaac come if the boys have their own tent."

"Four boys in one tent? You still inviting Kieran?"

"No just Addi and Amber for the girls then Auguste, Isaac and Casey."

I've noticed that her friend group consists mainly of her siblings.

"No school friends?"

"Nah. They're all into drama and stuff and I'd prefer to actually have a fun birthday."

"Exactly why I went to France alone."

"And came back with a special someone," Auguste mumbles.

Grace raises and eyebrow at Phoebe.

"I didn't mean to..."

Phoebe looks kinda upset with herself and she looks down.

Grace sighs.

"Yes it's fine Phoebe don't worry." Grace smiles to Phoebe.

Phoebe looks up and smiles back.

"I think that's our food," I point out to a waiter.

A waiter shows up and gives everyone's plate mentioning that he'll return with more in a sec.

"Anyway," Phoebe says. "I'm going to bring marshmallows and chocolate! And gram crackers too obviously."

"I think maman mentioned something about going out that night. 'A night of no kids and no responsibilities' I quote," Grace says, making finger quotes.

"Oh lucky you," Auguste laughs. "Home alone with Émilie."

"One, shh! And two, shut up you gross turd."

"A real good comeback," I say sarcastically as I cut my spaghetti.

"You too. You're all turds."

"Yeah, Yeah," Auguste rolls his eyes, laughing a bit.

"We're going to bake then watch my favourite movie Beauty and the Beast but La Belle at La Bête because Émilie understands it better."

"Don't do anything on the couch though because I sit the—"

"Auguste!" Grace almost yells, grabbing the attention of Richard and Gwen. She gives them a small smile before they return chatting. "I will impale your eye with this fork now shut up."

"Your ship name would be Grémilie," I laugh. Grace turns her attention to me.

"You want a fork shoved up your eye socket too?"

"Sounds better then Émace," Auguste laughs.

Phoebe still shows her sympathetic smile that screams 'I'm sorry'.

"I love you but you can't keep this a secret forever," Auguste whispers.

"Auguste I know but not right now," Grace says eyeing Gwen.

"Okay," Auguste says.

Grace's phone starts to ring and that catches Gwen's attention. Gwen signals for her to turn it off.

"Hello?" Grace answers. "Oh. Oh. Oh my god."

We all listen in.

"I'll be there. Where? Okay. Okay I'll be there oh my god." Grace quickly grabs her purse.

"Honey you can't leave again. We bought you food."

"Maman its an emergency." Grace looks up. Her eyes panicked and worried.

"Is it that girl?" Gwen sounds annoyed. "Why do you have to see her so much."

"I'm going to the hospital," Grace says, her emotion changing more into anger as she shoves the chair into the table and rushes off.

"Oh she is so lucky she brought her own car," Auguste says.

"Is this about that Émilie girl?" Gwen asks.

"I hope you know I heard as much of that conversation as you did," Auguste says.

"They hang out everyday every second," Gwen says. She then switches her language to French and I try to follow along but fail.

"Maman, I don't know."

"Phoebe?"

Phoebe stares down at her plate.

"Phoebe. Is there something I should know?"

"Phoebe?"

"Grace has a boyfriend!" Phoebe finally bursts.

"What?"

"Emmet. It's uh—"

"Émilie et Emmet?"

"No. Uh Émilie is just a friend. She's never brought Emmet to the house. Uh you wouldn't of met him," Phoebe stares at Auguste and I.

"Pourquoi ne pas tell me?"

"She was scared I don't know!" Phoebe says. She sounds all panicky and overwhelmed.

"Phoebe it's fine," Auguste says grabbing her hand and holding it. "If you don't know, you don't know. Maman let her be."

Gwen's emotion switches up and her hard glare leaves and she goes to console Pheobs.

"Désolé ma chère. Don't worry I'm just shocked. I can talk to Grace about it."

I notice Phoebe's breathing get quicker and her grip on Auguste's hand tighten.

"Maman, wait for her to tell you," Auguste says turning around.

Richard just stares helplessly. Like myself. Father like son.

"But—"

"But nothing. Grace told Phoebe and you know Phoebe hates secrets and she doesn't want Grace mad at her," Auguste says. "How about you just wait for Grace to tell you, she's an adult and figuring her own things out."

Everyone stays quiet. I notice Auguste's thumb run back and forth on Phoebe's hand he's holding.

"Yes. Yes your right," Gwen says. "Is she off to see Émilie or Emmet in the hospital?"

"Again, I don't know maman. Drop it." In a quieter tone Auguste says, "Every time
you mention his name her grip gets tighter."

The silence returns.

Gwen seems a little softer for once and I like it better then her cold glare she carries around with her.

"Auguste, passe moi la serviette s'il te plait."

Auguste gives Gwen, Grace's un-used napkin.

It's quiet as everyone eats.

"Je t'aime." Gwen smiles to Phoebe, who looks calmer.

"Je t'aime aussi, maman."