XXX

I can hear popcorn popping in the microwave over everyone chatting. Gwen and Richard are at Madeleine and Edgar's for New Years and the kids are here.

Everyone here is Phoebe, Auguste, Amber, Isaac, Addison, Penny, Arianna, Ximena and I.

"Five minutes left," I say smiling to Isaac who is sitting on the couch.

Arianna and Penny have become friends and are sitting on the other couch.

"Arianna referred to Penny as your girlfriend."

My smile fades.

Right. I never told him.

"Well it's only been a couple days and— well I don't know."

Isaac shrugs, frowning a bit.

"Thought you said you didn't like her like that."

He sips his drink. I think it's the tea Phoebe made.

"Well I don't know," I shrug. I don't know if I like her that way. "What does it matter?"

"I already have to deal with Auguste and Ximena all the time."

"So I can't date because Auguste is dating...?"

"No. That's not what I meant," he says. "Never mind. Just surprised you didn't tell me."

"Casey," Penny catches my attention. "Come here. Two minutes to."

I get up from the couch arm and walk over to Penny. She wraps her arm around me and plays with my hair.

"This is my first year having a boyfriend during New Years."

I almost want to make a joke but I don't really feel in the mood to anymore.

"Little more enthusiasm would be nice you know," Penny laughs. Arianna chuckles along with her.

They talk for a bit and it's not long before I hear Phoebe loudly say,

"Thirty seconds till!"

Then everyone in sync along with the t.v

"Nine,
Eight,
Seven,
Six,
Five,
Four,
Three,
Two,
One!"

Caught a bit off guard, Penny kisses me on the lips.

With my eyes still open, I see Ximena and Auguste doing the same and everyone else celebrating. Isaac still sits quietly on the couch and I catch his eye, somehow making the moment so much more uncomfortable.

Finally after forever, Penny pulls away grinning.

"I've got to call someone," I say trying to think of an excuse to go outside.

"Oh. Who?"

Everyone says happy new year in the background and hops around hugging each other.

"My mom," I say it so quickly I don't realize I'd said it till I'm on the porch. Then I start to cry.

A lot.