XXXIV

Penny traces swirls on my leg with her finger as she talks to Amber. Beside me is Isaac and on a beanbag far to my left is some other girl.

We're at Sebastian's huge home. His parents are away so he took the chance to invite some friends over to drink. Not a lot of people. Just his friend group and some of Mia's friends.

I'm surprised he invited Poppy. I spoke to him a bit ago in science and we started to chat again, but Poppy and him... not so much.

Sebastian is in the other room playing pool with Mia, Georgia, Jeremy and some other guys I don't know. They're all pretty loud and rowdy.

The room that we're all in is a theatre room and some crappy movie is playing. I haven't been paying attention to the plot.

Amber and Penny have stopped talking and now she's leaning on me.

In my head I imagine just picking her up and moving her somewhere else.

"I'm in incredibly bored," I whisper to Isaac. I turn so that my mouth is near his ear.

"Shh the movies playing," he says quietly, staring at the screen.

I raise an eyebrow.

"Bull," I mumble. "As if you give a crap about this movie. You can't stand modern day anything."

"I can too."

"Okay sure but you can't try to convince me you're entertained by this movie about some female and the cliche fuck boy."

"I said the movies playing not I'm being entertained."

I roll my eyes and sigh.

"You mad," I ask poking his arm.

"About what?"

"You tell me. You get like this when you're salty."

"Like what? I'm not doing anything."

"Okay," I say.

He's mad, I'm certain. Or at least annoyed. It's gotta be about the third wheeling thing but what does it really matter.

She's just leaning on me, it's pretty annoying too.

I turn my head away from Isaac and move closer to Penny. She mumbles into my ear,

"This movie is dumb and boring. Want to leave?"

Well if I get up is Isaac gonna get mad at that too? God this is stupid.

"Yeah," I say.

She gets up and I follow. I feel eyes on my back as everyone else wonders what the noise is.

Once we're outside of the room we can finally speak in a normal tone and it takes a moment for my eyes to adjust to the light.

"I want something to drink," Penny says. "I've never had alcohol or been to a party."

"This isn't really a party," I say thinking to the one back near Halloween.

She grabs my hand and leads me to the kitchen. The kitchen here is two times the size of mine at home. It's all white and new.

For a bit we sit in the kitchen then Penny gets bored and decides to adventure around the house.

"They'd be to drunk to notice us," she says as she starts up the stairs. "Their laughter has died down a bit, maybe they're getting tired."

We walk through the rooms and I start to feel weird about it.

"Pen, we're in someone's privacy," I say.