XXXV

"Auguste you guys need to tell someone soon," I say. Ximena and Auguste sit in front of me on the couch in Isaac's living room.

"Really not the time, Casey," Auguste says. "It's kinda Isaac's birthday."

He's an adult.

What a weird thought. I'm an adult in five months.

"Yeah I know but it's been a couple weeks and doesn't she need check ups and things."

"Trust me I know," Ximena says. "I've been working up the strength to tell my parents. They're really religious though and I know they'll be super disappointed in me."

"You just need to prove to them it won't negatively affect your future," I say.

"I know."

"I'm nervous too. I'm the guy who got you knocked up, they're going to hate my guts."

"Yeah but they like you."

"Right now. On top of that I've got to prove that I'm going to stick around."

He sighs mumbling something in french.

Ximena smiles lightly and looks to Auguste. I smile at the cuteness.

"You going to keep the gender a surprise?" I ask.

"Not sure," Ximena answers.

"Think maybe we should join the others outside?"

"Yeah," Auguste says. "I've got to get my swim trunks."

I came with mine on.

Auguste and Ximena leave so I grab a towel from the pile on the dining room chair and head out back.

My toes freeze once they touch the porch ground.

"Careful," Phoebe says. "It's pretty slippery."

In the hot tub is Amber, Phoebe and Isaac.

I slowly make my way towards the hot tub, take off my shirt, and quickly get in.

"Ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch," I mutter as I slowly sit down in the boiling hot water. A breeze goes by and quickens my pace.

We all chat about current events and wait for the others. In five minutes or so Ximena and Auguste make their way outside and into the hot tub.

For another twenty minutes we continue to talk. Amber and Phoebe get out because they'd been in there a lot longer. Leaving Isaac and I with Ximena and Auguste.

I keep staring at Auguste trying to tell him now would be a good time to tell Isaac. Like Phoebe, I hate lying.

"Okay," Auguste says still staring at me. "Isaac."

"Yes?"

"Okay..."

"Okay what?"

"Give me a moment I need to mentally prepare myself."

"You're dramatic as hell and I know you can't do it," Ximena says to Auguste before turning to Isaac. "Isaac I'm pregnant."

"What?"

It's quiet.

"Auguste is the dad and I'll be eighteen in a month. We're keeping the baby and haven't told anyone except Casey."

Isaac looks to me. I almost feel guilty for knowing.

I can tell Isaac doesn't know how to react.

"Any further questions?" Ximena asks as if this doesn't faze her.

He hasn't asked any.

"I- uh- how long?"

"A few weeks. Not entirely sure."

Part of me is happy to see Ximena sounding happy and confident. Her voice no longer shows panic but that she's ready to be a mom.

Deep down I don't think she is. I'm not even prepared to be an uncle which is nothing in comparison.

"Have you known the whole time?" Isaac looks to me.

"Well yeah Auguste was pretty messed up and I guess he wanted someone to talk to."

I feel bad saying that. Isaac is his best friend.

"Okay," Ximena says. "This hot water isn't the best for me to be sitting in for too long right now."

Ximena starts to get out. With Auguste's cowardice he follows. Too scared to be alone with Isaac (and me technically). It's definitely something he got from Richard.

Then it's just Isaac and I.

"Haven't you been out here a while?" I ask.

Isaac looks at his fingers and shrugs.

"I only know because I was in the bathroom when he was crying. He probably wouldn't of told me otherwise, I mean it's Auguste."

Isaac nods his head quietly then leans over to turn off the lights. It's complete darkness. It stays silent.

"Amber and I used to sit out here in the dark all the time. She used to make us chat and she'd call it 'Tub Talk'."

I smile at the thought.

"Sometimes she'll sit out here with Phoebe and talk about boys. The rule is like what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas."

Isaac's was close to his sister but she slowly grew up and hung out with her friends instead of him. Isaac was close with Auguste but Auguste got a girlfriend who always chose Ximena over him. I became Isaac's friend but then I got a girlfriend.

Isaac's upset because he's everyone's second choice.

"I don't actually think I want to date Penny," I admit. I haven't said it aloud.

My eyes are adjusted so I notice his eyes moves from the water to me.

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know," I say. "She seems so much happier and excited about the relationship. I'm more or less just uncomfortable and I don't think I like her like that."

"You going to tell her?"

"I don't know. I keep telling myself I just have no experience to what it's like to truly want to date someone so I don't think I could tell if I liked her or not. Funny thing is same thing happened with Ari at home."

Oh gosh.

Why would I not like two girls that I spend (spent) my everyday with and got along perfectly fine with? A question I always ask myself but never knew the answer to.

I slowly look up at Isaac and we hold eye contact for a minute.

"Well. Don't we have a cake to cut?"

"Wait," Isaac says.

I've already stood up.

"Yeah?"

I'm nervous. Why am I nervous.

"I don't know if I told you but might as well. In March I'm gone for three weeks. The week before during and after March break."

"Oh."

"Yeah."

"Okay." I get out, grab my towel and go inside to change. I don't really process what he says. 

More or less panicked about what I said and what I realized. I wonder if he realized it too.

Maybe I don't like girls.