XIII

In advance just going to mention, Ximena is pronounced H-men-ah.
Unedited

I've been at the new school for a month now. It's quite boring, as always.

It's better then my last school. My friends are nice. We don't pull the fire alarm like angsty little kids. Not sure if I miss that.

I sit with Sebastian, Poppy and everyone else every break. Sometimes I'll smile or say hey to Isaac in the halls. Phoebe likes to poke me. Auguste doesn't really acknowledge me.

"Halloween is a month today," Phoebe says as she writes on the white board calendar on her wall.

I'm on her bed writing a mini essay on trying to persuade the teacher about my opinion on this short story we read. Boring things.

"Tomorrow I can start wearing my pumpkin earrings!"

"Your what?"

"Pumpkin earrings! Oh! Oh! And my candy corn ones. I also have witch hat ones and— well I have a pair for every day of the week."

"Does this mean you have Christmas ones?"

"Oh yes I do!"

I groan, chuckling a bit.

"Amber and I are going to the mall in a bit."

"How are you going to get there?"

"Isaac."

"Oh."

"Yeah. When I'm at the mall I'm going to buy the gross pumpkin spice latte. You think you can get it iced?"

"Why are you spending six or so bucks on a drink you don't like?"

"It keeps me in the fall spirit."

"As if the red leaves and your seven pairs of Halloween earrings weren't good enough."

"And my cozy sweaters but that's more winter."

"Hm. Anyway, is Isaac staying with you or just dropping you off?"

"I don't know. Why?"

"Just curious," I shrug. I look back at my computer and type two words,

In conclusion,

Eventually I get bored of writing the conclusion even though it's just summarizing the three points so I put the essay into MLA format.

"I need new sweaters," Phoebe says as she stands in front of the mirror in her wall with a wool turtle neck.

"That looks like something Grace would wear."

"Funny. It is from her closet."

"I'm pretty sure she'd stab you for touching her things."

"You are right, there but she is in Montreal."

"Hm."

"Auguste might be inviting over Ximena."

"Oh. Who's that?"

"A girl he sometimes hangs around. They get all giggly and annoying."

"Auguste? Giggly?"

"Well, less miserable."

"Oh. He must really like her."

"Mia and Isaac seem to think so."

"I thought you didn't know Auguste's friends?"