27 ▹ surprise

THE sudden scream felt like an ambush as I just froze in place at the door with my mouth hung open in shock and my eyebrows together in fear. Practically everyone we worked with was here in this small apartment. I looked around, as everyone laughed and cheered together, and noticed Johnny coming my way first.

He wrapped his arms around my neck and patted my back. "You okay, Nik?"

"Mm, hm," I hummed and finally gulped from the shock of it all. I felt Candice place her hand on my back and laughed. Johnny let go of me and I faced the two master-minds behind this whole operation. "This was all you guys?"

"Hell yes," Candice giggled, then placed a quick kiss on Johnny's cheek. "I got you out of the house while Johnny and Tommaso took care of all the decorations."

"Tommaso...?" I breathed out his name, so Candice smirked and pointed behind me. I slowly turned and there stood Tommaso, somewhat happy to be here.

Suddenly, Candice and Johnny didn't mean a thing to me because he was here now. I was suddenly glued to him, standing right in front of him with my eyes wide and completely focused on just him.

"Hey," I breathed his name out and smiled as wide as I could, like he was my only birthday present. "I was going to come and see you after dinner, because I didn't know I could invite anyone. But... You're here now."

"I am," he remarked, smirking. "And you're here, too, now."

"Exactly," I tried to giggle out, to cut out the awkwardness. It still was, though. "I'm glad that I'm here with you. I mean..." He chuckled and I now felt nervous. "I mean, uh... With everyone, y'know?"

He nodded and said, "Yeah, I figured that much."

As I was about to reply, I heard someone say my name and I looked beyond Tommaso's body, noticing Trevor standing there. He had a red cup in his right hand and a smile painted across his face. This is new, I thought to myself as I stepped by Tommaso to now stand with Trevor.

"Hey," I smiled, surprising myself when I said it, too. "How are you?"

He laughed and asked, "How I am? Well, to be honest with you, I'm good — but that doesn't really matter tonight. What matters is you because it is your birthday, Nik. Happy birthday."

"Thank you," I said back with a slight nod. "Well, um... Enjoy yourself. I'll be around."

"Thanks," he murmured out before dipping his head and heading to the kitchen, where Johnny and Candice were standing at.

I slowly turned back to Tommaso and smiled (again), especially because I can't help myself when he's around nowadays. "I'm not sure if I've mentioned this, but," I paused and stepped closer to him, then dropped my voice down, "I am really glad you're here."

"Yeah," he laughed and shrugged. "You've mentioned that once or twice before already."

"I figured that much," I teased, using his words against him. I bit down on my bottom lip and looked up at him. "Anyways, I should go get dressed since I looked the worst out of everyone."

He nodded, but did add before I could leave: "You definitely look the best out of everyone here, just saying." I blushed, but, by that point, I had already turned around and was walking away.

I found Candice in the kitchen with Johnny and Trevor, and asked for my dress, so she and I snuck away to my room to change together into our new dresses — to match everyone else here, all fancy and nice.

After we repainted our faces on and fixed our hair, we rejoined the rest of the party once again. I found myself next to Tommaso most of the time, all while enjoying everyone else's company as well.