Spencer

Luna sits on the stool next to me, swiveling back and forth as she eats her apple donut.

Country Donuts is a small, family owned donut shop in Crystal Lake. And Luna was right, it's great.

We're the only ones in the place, given the time.

"My favorite building..." The girl says through a mouthful of donut before covering her mouth with her hand. She laughs after swallowing down the rest.

She's so cute.

"Sorry, that was gross. Why do I always do that?" She blushes, looking down at her lap.

A laugh escapes my lips. "So, your favorite building is?"

"Oh! My favorite building is the Smurfit Stone building. It's just so cool and funky looking," She tells me. "When movies and TV shows really want to establish that they're set in Chicago, they use that building rather than the Sears Tower. It stands out,"

"I didn't know that," I shoot her a smile.

She swivels again, this time hitting her knees against mine softly. She chuckles lightly. "Look at that. Me telling you something you don't know," The girl looks over at our empty cups and napkins. "You ready to go?"

I nod, standing up and grabbing our garbage to throw away.

When we head to the car, I can feel myself getting nervous. Sure, I'd met her dad, but he didn't know I was her boyfriend or that I even knew her. And Stella knew who I was, but I was only there to ask questions, so we didn't talk aside from that.

"So, you get to see my old room." Luna tells me as we pull out of the parking lot. "A glimpse into nineteen year old Luna's life."

"What should I expect?" I laugh, watching the world pass through the window.

"Well, first of all, high school pictures. Oh, and I have a huge collage on one wall. I cut a bunch of stuff out of magazines and used tape to hang them. There's a lot of flowers, some celebrities that I liked..."

She takes a hand off of the wheel to place it on my thigh. I'd been bouncing my leg and I hadn't realized it. Nerves.

"Hey," The girl says, giving my thigh a squeeze. "You okay?"

"I'm, uh... I'm just a little bit nervous," I admit.

"Spence, they'll love you. You know how I know?" Luna asks me, her hand leaving my thigh and returning to the wheel so that she can make a turn.

I shake my head. "How do you know?"

"I know they'll love you 'cause I love you,"

I let out a tiny laugh. "You think so?"

"I do!"

-

In no time, we're pulling up to a little two-story home. One I'd seen once before. All of the lights are off...they must have gone to bed.

"They went to sleep," Luna notes, looking at the house through the windshield. "Guess you'll be meeting them in the morning," She chuckles.

We get out of the car and grab our stuff before heading to the door. Luna pulls out her keys and unlocks it, letting me in before her.

"Careful on the stairs," She whispers to me as she starts up them. I follow her up the stairs through the darkness and we end up in a bedroom.

The girl closes the door and flicks on the light.

The walls are painted a pale lavender color, a full sized bed is centered against the inner wall. It sits underneath the collage she told me about. Magazine clippings form a big circle. It's mostly flowers, but there are a few clippings of people spread out in it. Celebrities, she'd said. I don't know any of them, though. Around the room, there's a small dresser, a desk, and a chair. Pictures of young Luna and her family are stuck on the walls alongside notebook paper doodles.