Spencer

"Daddy, are leaving again?" El asks me as I load things into my messenger bag. She looks up at me with big, sad brown eyes. They can break my heart with one look, just like Luna's.

I crouch down, meeting the four year old's level. I put my hands on her face, giving her a small smile. "I'll be back before you can say 'hopscotch'." I tuck a brown curl behind her little ear.

"Hobscob," El tries.

"So close," I chuckle, tapping the tip of her nose with my finger. "I love you," I wrap my arms around her and give her a kiss on the cheek. "I'll see you soon."

"I love you, daddy," Eleanor tells me through a small giggle, tapping my nose right back.

Luna stands in the doorway, watching the both of us with a tiny smile on her lips. "Okay, El, go hop in bed. I'll be right there to tuck you in."

"Okay, mommy," The girl says, running out of our room and toward hers.

Luna's smile fades slightly. "You're leaving again?"

"I have to meet with mom's doctor in Houston," I tell her, met with a frown and crossed arms.

She sighs, looking down at the ground. "Why are you lying to me?" My wife asks, looking like she's about to cry. "I...Spencer, please don't do this-"

"What? Don't do what?" I ask her, heading toward the girl and resting my hands on her shoulders.

"Please don't sneak around. Just...if you don't want to be with me anymore-"

"Whoa! No! Lu, of course I want to be with you. I love you! Why would you think that I didn't?" My heart breaks when I see a tear run down her cheek. It falls to the floor in what seems like slow motion.

"Because... you've been acting strange, Spence. I thought...I thought you were cheating on me,"

"Luna, no! No, god, no! I'd never ever cheat on you. I don't even want to be with anyone else, Luna. Just you. Always you," I assure her. "I promise you. It's always going to be you."

"So, why are you keeping secrets from me?" She looks down at my chest.

"I'm not-"

"Please!" She almost shouts, her voice hoarse. She lowers her voice when she continues. "Please tell me the truth. Spencer..." She looks up at me, tears rolling down her cheeks.

"Lu, I really do have to meet with the doctor." It's not entirely a lie, but it's not quite the truth either.

She wipes her cheeks with the back of her hand. "Okay, I still don't really believe you, but... I trust you. Whatever it is you're doing, please... answer when I call you. El will lose it if she doesn't get to talk to you before bed. And be safe, okay?" Luna brings her hands to my face. "I love you so much."

"I love you so much, Lu." I tell her, tucking some hair behind her ears. She looks back at me, a weak smile on her lips, then wraps her arms around my neck, pulling me into a hug.

I hug her back tightly. "I'll see you soon,"

She pulls her head back and brings her lips to mine. She kisses me slowly and sweetly. When she pulls away, I'm left wanting more.

"I'll see you soon," My wife tells me. "I love you, Spencer."

"I love you, Luna."

"I have to go tuck El in. Call me when you land, okay?"

I nod. We exchange one more 'I love you' before I leave.

-

Penelope sits down in front of me, the small partition between us. "Spencer, oh, my god. Oh, god, you look terrible."