Shadow Man

Description: If I told you what I was
Would you turn your back on me?
And if I seemed dangerous
Would you be scared?
I get the feeling just because
Everything I touch isn't dark enough
That this problem lies in me

This is a songfic to Monster by Imagine Dragons. I love Imagine Dragons so much and this song just makes me think of Anti... so enjoy.

Jack had always been a reject. He wouldn't fit in with the other children and would often hide away from them. He much preferred to sit in the corner on his own with a book and his drawing pencils. The other children sometimes teased him and laughed at him. Whilst everyone was making friends and having fun, Jack was just drawing. Always drawing. His drawings were creepy but it wasn't like anyone had ever looked at them. If they did, they'd see shadows and blood. They'd see that Jack had harshly pressed the pencil into the paper, so hard that it had almost broken through to the other side.

At primary school he tried to fit in but, by then, he had been identified as the local weirdo. No one would even come within a few metres of him unless they really had to. One person dared to sit with him one time and asked to see his drawing.

Ever since I could remember
Everything inside of me
Just wanted to fit in

He lifted up the arm that had been covering half of it. The girl's eyes widened and she ran. Jack had only drawn the monsters he saw in his nightmares. They weren't as scary when drawn as they were when they were chasing him through his dreams.

I was never one for pretenders
Everything I tried to be
Just wouldn't settle in

"You draw monsters, don't you?" A boy asked, towering over Jack. Jack glanced up at him with bloodshot eyes, gripping his sketchbook against his chest. "It's because you're a monster too, isn't it? You don't belong in this world," The boy shoved  Jack harshly, making him stumble backwards into the wall behind him. He scraped his elbow but that was the last thing he was worrying about in that moment. His heart was beating fast inside his chest but he had felt more fear before.

If I told you what I was
Would you turn your back on me?
And if I seemed dangerous
Would you be scared?
I get the feeling just because
Everything I touch isn't dark enough
That this problem lies in me

He had felt more fear in his nightmares. He could survive one stupid bully. "Freak." Hand clenching into a fist, Jack raised his arm and threw a punch at the bully.

He had had enough.

Something took over Jack's body. He was watching a movie in a point-of-view shot, unable to stop himself as he continued to send punches flying towards the other child. He could see the blood trailing down from his nose but he didn't stop. No one could call him a freak. No one could ignore him. No one could tease him.

I'm only a man with a candle to guide me
I'm taking a stand to escape what's inside me
A monster! A monster! I've turned into a monster!
A monster! A monster! And it keeps getting stronger!

The boy was crying and begging Jack to stop but he didn't: he couldn't. He was watching his body move on its own until the boy had fallen to the floor, sobs shaking his body.

Jack finally gained control again, looking down at his hands. His right hand was covered in the other child's blood. He stumbled backwards before taking off into a run.

These moments (Jack called them dissociative moments) didn't stop happening; if anything, they happened at a higher frequency. He couldn't help himself.