Chapter Two - What They Had.

12 years ago.

Harry - 7

Louis - 9

××××

Harry sat in the field outside school during free time at the end of the school day. Other kids were playing tag around him, but the didn't want to participate. He felt that if he played with other children it would be like he was cheating on Louis.

"Harry, why won't you play?"

Harry picked at the pink flowers beside him, "My friend isn't here."

The kids giggled, "We'll be your friends."

"No I like Louis."

A boy snickered, "He must be a faggot. Are you gay, Harry? My brother told me that it's nasty."

Harry looked up as other kids started chanting "Harry's gay, Harry's gay" while laughing.

Harry started to weave a flower crown. "I don't know what that means."

The kid didn't care, as he started egging the kids to chant louder.

The teachers were gossiping together and thought the children were just singing a tune.

Flowers were being thrown. Harry continued to weave the crown. He knew the kids were making fun of him, they always do, so he focus on making something beautiful while ugly words were trying to make him sad. They did just that, Harry just wanted to cry to Louis, but he can't yet. Louis is still in classes and Harry has to walk home without him today.

Max, the boy, laughed at Harry, "My brother says that people like you should die."

Harry flinched, he didn't know what he had done for this to happen. He was just sitting. He didn't even know what they were calling him meant.

"Harry should die, Harry should die," The kids began to chant while skipping around him.

Harry let his head fall as tears dropped down his soft cheeks.

A teacher had heard the chant and stormed over, "What do you think you're doing?" She demanded.

Max froze, as did the other kids.

"I want all of you to line up against the wall this instant," She yelled. No one moved. "That means now!" She bellowed. The children scrambled to be the first one to the wall.

Harry stood up, wiping his cheeks. He started walking to the wall when the teacher stopped him.

"Not you, Sweetheart. I'm Ms. Teasdale. You are?"

"Harry."

"Well Harry, I'm going to walk you to the office and call your mum to pick you up." She offered her hand to Harry, who took it.

He clutched his flower crown in his other hand as Ms. Teasdale told his teacher what happened and asked her to take these children to her classroom so she could punish them when she makes sure Harry is okay.

The trip to the office was silent except for Harry's small hiccups from crying. He would wipe his cheeks against his arm now and then. He was seated in a waiting chair while Ms. Teasdale rang his mum.

"Hello, is this Ms. Anne Cox? ... This is Lou Teasdale, I teach year two here and ... no he isn't sick, but today during free time, children surrounded your son and started saying he should die. There may be more to the story, but your son was crying. ... I just think he should go home and be with someone who loves him. I'm so sorry that he had to go through this and I will get to the bottom of this. He will be waiting in the office for you, thank you. Bye," She hung up the phone and turned to Harry, "Your mum is on her way, I'm going to leave you here and go deal with those kids, but first will you tell me what happened?"