Chapter Three - What They Had.

10 years ago.

Harry: 9

Louis: 11

-

Harry hid under his blankets. He didn't want to go to school. He never does.

Anne was trying to keep her patience. "Harry, you have to go to school."

"Can I have an off day or something? Mum, they'll make fun of me." Harry is still teased for being gay and now that he knows what it means, he gets more insulted.

"Harry, baby, you'll be okay."

Harry cried into his pillow, but Anne wasn't having it. She felt bad for her baby boy, but Harry had to learn how to deal with it.

There was ten minutes before Louis arrived with Lottie to walk with Harry and Gemma to school.

"Harry, you have five minutes to be ready or you'll be in trouble," Anne warned and slammed the door behind her. 

With tears still running down Harry's chubby cheeks, he gets up, and puts on the clothes his mum laid out. He wiped at his face and walked down stairs.

In the kitchen, Anne and Gemma ignored the tears on Harry's face as they ate breakfast. 

Harry ate a piece of bacon, when the door bell rang.

Louis and Lottie come in and wait for Gemma and Harry to gather their things. 

"Love you! Have a great day!" Anne shouted after her children. 

Harry and Louis joined hands and Louis told Harry about how annoying Fizzy is.

Halfway to the primary school, Gemma tells the kids goodbye, and runs off to met her boyfriend.

The moment Gemma is gone, Louis turns Harry, "What's wrong?"

"I wanted to stay home. The kids are picking on me Louis."

Louis squeezed Harry's hand, "How about we go get ice cream?"

"We don't have any money."

"I do! For lunch. How about we go get ice cream and play in the park all day?"

"Won't we get in trouble?" 

Louis smiled, "Yeah, that's the point, innit?"

Harry agreed and they dropped of Lottie before running to the local ice cream parlor.

They stood in line patiently, holding hands.

Adults, mainly elders, cooed at the sight of the kids.

When they got to the counter, Louis ordered two chocolate cones.

"Aren't you supposed to be in school right now?"

Louis shook his head, thinking of an excuse. "No, we're home schooled. Mummy and Daddy were fighting, and my baby brother here started to cry. I thought ice cream would cheer him up."

The cashier lookedd at Louis holding hands with the young boy, "How old are you?"

"11."

The man smiled, "You're very smart for an 11. A good brother too, here's your ice cream."

Louis thanked the man and handed him the money.

Harry licked at his ice cream before looking at Louis, "You lied."

"Yeah, well. I couldn't tell the truth, could I?" Louis asked.

Harry frowned, "Mummy said lying is bad."