Chapter Four - What They Had.

8 years ago

Harry: 11

Louis: 13

-

Louis was walking home with his friend Stan. They were talking about how fit this girl, Maria, was. When Lottie, who was seven, came rushing up to Louis, “There was a fight today.”

Fizzy, who was five, nodded, “They were bad.”

Stan looked at Lottie, “What happened?”

Lottie flicked her blonde hair over her shoulder, “Well, apparently, some kid was just bullying this other kid.”

“Who were the people?”

“Uh, I think it was Max, and … Harry.”

Louis’ eyes widened.

Stan laughed, “oh, the loser.”

Louis elbowed Stan, “He’s cool.”

“Anyway,” Lottie said getting attention back on her, “Max was picking on Harry, and Harry tried to walk away when Max punched him in the face. Harry fell to the ground, but no one helped him.”

“See Louis, a loser.”

Louis was beyond mad. He sped up his walking, and Stan called after him, “Mate, my house is over here.”

“I changed my mind.”

“You really gonna ditch me for some pansy?”

Louis nodded.

“Whatever, man.”

“Lot, Fizz, let’s go.”

Louis held their hands as they walked down the street.

Meanwhile, Harry locked himself in his room. 

He has been in his room since he got home. The door was deadbolted. Anne was trying to get in.

He slid down the wall and cried into his knees. It hurt his blackeye, but he didn't care.

Harry has always been picked on about being gay. Never hit though. He didn't know what was different about today....

The pages turned against Harry's will as the wind blew. He didn't know where we was so now he'd have to search for his spot. A sigh left his mouth as he glared to the sky.

It was recess and Harry had retreated to his corner of the play area to read his book. He was out of sight of the teachers and students. He stayed there all period until he heard the whistle signalling that it was time to go inside.

The kids ran around screaming and laughing. They had friends to play with. No one really wanted to be Harry's friend. He didn't understand why. It was okay though, because Harry always knew he had Louis.

Harry located his spot in the book. He started to read it again when it was kicked from his hands.

Max stood there.

"Leave me alone."

"Why are you all alone, Harry? Can't find anyone who likes you enough to play with you?" Max taunted.

"N-no. I like to read."

Max laughed and picked up the book. "Wonder," he read the title out loud. "I wonder what happens if I do this," Max grips a few pages and rips them from the bind. "Oops."

Harry watched in horror as his book was being demolished. "H-hey. Stop!" Harry ran up to get the book from him when Max punched Harry in the face.