Chapter:23

Last week before we go back on the road. We've got the nephew and oldest niece for the day. I offered to take the nephew if Christian didn't mind. I went to pick him up before we went to get a drink somewhere. "So? What are we doing today Jess?" He asked. "Do not tell your uncle, but we are going mudding and then riding horses out to the creek and back before lunch." I said.

"Yay!" He yelled. About two hours later we were in the repair shop getting the rear axel fixed. "It's his truck." He said. "I know. I'm paying for it." I said. "You're screwed." He said. "True." I said. Thirty minutes later I paid for the work done before we could go. "Better hope he doesn't find out." I said.

We pulled up in front of the barn. "Which horse does he usually let you ride?" I asked him. The horse he told me did not sound like the right one. "Are you sure?" I asked. He nodded vigorously. I raised a brow. "I don't think that's the right horse." I said. "Chris always makes me ride one of the older horses!" He exclaimed.

"If that's what he says, then I will saddle one of older horses. As long as he says something that makes sense for your safety, I will be backing him up." I said. He looked pitiful with that facial expression. "Don't give me that look. If Chris has been putting you on older horses, then he wants you on a horse that will not spook or hurt you." I said.

"Ok." He said. "Which one is it that he puts you on the most?" I asked. He walked directly down the isle and straight to a horse stall. I followed him. "This is the twelve year old gelding he makes me ride every single time." He said. I got the lead next to the stall and led the horse out. Then tied the horse up next to the tack room door.

I got the saddle and bridle and tacked the horse up. "Think He would mind if I rode his own horse?" I asked. "No. He wouldn't mind." He said. I saddled one of the regular horses. I made sure his helmet was secure before helping him up onto the older horse. We then went out to where we were going to ride.

At the waterfront we were able to enjoy the view before the horses started acting up. "Let's start back." I told him. Right before I could turn the horse around I went off backwards and sideways at the same time. My back hurt the most when I landed. The horse I was riding took off. I stood up slowly and went over to his horse. "You ok?" He asked. "I'm fine." I told him. A yowl pierced the air.

"Scoot up in the saddle." I told him. He did. I got up into the saddle. Then gathered the reins up. "Hold onto the saddle." I told him. I caught a quick glimpse of a tan figure before making the horse gallop. My arm was around the boy's waist as we flew across the ground. As we neared the fence I told him to hold on even more. Right over the fence and onto the grass next to the gravel.

I looked back as I slowed the horse down. The big cat had stopped near the tree line. I took a deep breath exhaling it. As we went around the house I stopped the horse and dismounted. My back hurt even more. The run away horse was standing directly next to the water trough in front of the barn. I grabbed the reins to the horse leading him over to a water trough. While he drank, I helped the nephew dismount and had him go get the leads to both horses.

As I loosened cinches I spotted Christian with the niece standing on the back porch. He must have heard us come up. His nephew came back with the leads. I unbridled the first one after tying the second to the loop on the trough. I led the first inside and took his saddle off before brushing him down. I turned him out in his stall before going to the second one. The nephew followed in at a safe distance.

"That was fun running in!" He said. "That's why you listen to your uncle when he puts you on an older horse. He didn't scare like mine did." I said. "Are you ok?" He asked. "I'll be fine. It's just a bruise bud." I said as he handed me his helmet. I put it up for him after telling him to go wash up for lunch.

I finished untacking the second horse checking him for scratches or anything while brushing him down. I patted his neck before rubbing his nose. I put him in his stall before going up towards the house. Christian had the most concerned look on his face as his nephew told him about our horseback ride back. Great. I'm going to get an earful about what I should not have done.