Seven

The next day was... unusual to stay the least. After the events of the evening before, Ceci had been left alone, with only some dirty glares. But now it was lunch and, Ceci, who usually sat with her sister, was alone and deep in thought.

"Uh, hey, Cecilia." a voice broke Ceci out of her daydream. It was Raelynn. She stood at the edge of the table holding a tray with just an apple and fries on it.

"Hello Raelynn." Ceci replied softly.

"Do you mind if I sit?" Raelynn asked. "Sorry for, uh, interrupting you."

"No, not at all." Ceci said signalling to the seat in front of her Raelynn nodded and sat down.

"Thanks.." she said quietly. Ceci nodded and picked at her food.

"How've you been?" Rae asked after a while of silence.

"Good and you?" Ceci replied quietly

"Well, you know, a few glares and whispers but it doesn't bother me." Rae shrugged, taking a bite of her apple. Ceci looked down.

"I'm sorry." She mumbled.

"Oh don't worry about it. I don't care, they can think and do what they want as long as they stop bullying you."

"I don't want pity."

"I'm not giving you pity. I'm being genuine, I promise." Rae said reassuringly. "I want to get to know you."

"Why?" Ceci asked curiously.

"Because no one else bothers to and you and you deserve a chance."

"That sure sounds like pity to me." Ceci started picking at her pasta.

"It's not." Rae sighed. "Cecilia I want to be your friend. I've wanted to for ages. But Audrey kept me away and kept me her property. And if you don't believe me I can go elsewhere. Would I have really stood up for you and put all my so called reputation in the trash if it was pity?" she raised her eyebrows. Ceci thought for a second... it did make sense. She never had anyone this persaverent try to be her friend... she took a deep breath.

"Call me Ceci." she gave Raelynn a small smile.

"And you can call me Ly-" Raelynn paused. "Rae. You can call me Rae." Ceci nodded and went back to eating.

"So what do you like to do? I guess we need to start at the basics." Rae said after finishing her apple and tossing the core into the nearest trash can.

"I like reading and walking around. Also drawing. And you?" Ceci replied carefully

"I like drawing. Painting. Anything to do with art really. And, uh, sing--, oh nevermind..." Rae trailed off.

"Singing? Well that's one talent I wanted to have but don't." Ceci replied.

"I can't sing. Nevermind.." Rae mumbled.

"But you just said-" Ceci insisted.

"It doesn't matter..." Rae said quietly. She didn't want to be harsh.

"Okay." Ceci gave in.

"Thank you." Rae muttered. Ceci just nodded.

"Sorry..." Rae said quietly.

"Don't apologise." Ceci waved it off.

"What in the name of the Mad Hatter?!" A voice exclaimed. It was Ally, her mouth dropped open in shock.

"Ally!" Ceci exclaimed, jumping up from her seat. "I thought you had a meeting of sorts!"

"Yes, though a chess club meeting isn't going to last as long as a tea party, sister." Ally raised her eyebrows. Rae just sat there awkwardly.