Twenty

"Cyrus!" Cecilia called when she was deep into the forest and reaching their tree.

"Here as always, darling." Cyrus appeared at the tree, but instead of being perched on one of the branches, he was leaning against the trunk on the ground. Without a word, Ceci lunged up and wrapped her arms around his neck, hugging him. He was taken aback and his eyes widened. This funny feeling started to bubble in his stomach, like a feeling of butterflies... he slowly hugged back and released a breath he didn't even know he was holding.

"I'm sorry." Ceci said, standing on her tiptoes so she wasn't as awkwardly placed, for he was quite tall.

"I-it's fine." Cyrus said after getting over the initial shock. "It's just I've never hugged anyone... or been hugged by anyone... especially not a girl..." his eyes widened upon realising what he said. "Sorry. I didn't mean- it doesn't matter."

"No..." she said. "I'm sorry for leaving you."

"Cecilia it's okay." he pulled away and looked down at her. "Your friend got hurt. I understand."

"Not just now..." she said, a tear rolling down her cheek. "Before."

"Hey don't cry." he wiped the tear away with his thumb and lifted her face up with his hand so she looked at him. "It's okay." he looked into her eyes.

"No it isn't," she sniffled, looking back at him. "It feels horrible and it must've felt even worse because you don't have anyone else and..." she rambled as more tears escaped her eyes.

"Darling please stop crying." he said softly. "I mean it. It's okay. I'm fine, I've gone over ten years without anyone, the fact that you still make an effort to come see me means a lot." he started to stroke her cheek with his thumb. "Please stop crying."

"I-I can't..." she said, absentmindedly tilting her head to his hand. "It must've hurt so much.

"Cecilia, stop." he said gently. "I don't like seeing you like this." he continued to stroke her cheek. "Don't worry about it. You're my... best friend and nothing will change that."

"Okay..." she sniffed, giving in. Cyrus smiled and leaned down to hug her.

"Thank you," she whispered. "I needed that."

"You're welcome." he whispered back and pulled away from the hug. Ceci was suddenly brought back to earth and turned bright red, and stepped back.

"I-I'm sorry..." she said, suddenly very embarrassed. "I-I don't know what..." she trailed off.

"Cecilia, don't worry about it." Cyrus said softly. "You don't need to say sorry, it's good to let it all out."

"Yeah but..." she was still blushing heavily, and her insides going wonky.

"It's okay." he repeated. "I promise you."