Thirteen

Cecilia ran to the forest, not caring that she looked totally insane, for she felt absolutely dreadful.

"CYRUS?" she shouted. "Cyrus please! I'm sorry!" she cried. There was no reply, not even a rustle of a tree. Nothing. She reached their tree. But there was still no sign of him. Ceci collapsed in a fit of tears next to the tree. "I'm sorry... "I'm so sorry."

"Why are you here?" a very familiar voice rang through the trees. "You don't need me." Ceci stopped sobbing when she heard him.

"Cyrus?" she called out weakly

"You have your new friends. You don't need me anymore." his voice said solemnly.

"Yes I do!" she exclaimed. "How could..." she stopped for a second. "How could I not?"

"Because you have friends. Friends who don't have to hide away from the world. Friends you can be seen with."

"I still want you, Cyrus! I don't care if you have to hide!" she cried, tears streaming down her cheeks as she looked around for him. "I'm sorry I forgot, I just got carried away that..." she laughed for a second. "That people actually wanted to hang out with me! People who go to school with me and had never spoken to me wanted to be my friends!" she sat on the floor with her back to the tree. There was a silence for a while.

"Look up." Cyrus sighed. Ceci did as she was told and gasped when she saw him sat there on one of the branches.

"Cyrus, I'm so sorry."

"Apologies mean nothing, darling." he sighed, not looking at her. "You can leave me. I was ready for it to happen."

"I don't want... I am not leaving you!" she stood up and looked at him. "I would never!" she then looked down in shame. "I already did... didn't I?"

"The week wasn't easy. But I accepted that you're better off without me and you have better friends now. So you can go, you can forget I ever existed." Cyrus said emotionlessly.

"No... no. I am not, I can not, and I will not." Ceci said.

"You already did." Cyrus faded away.

"Don't go, please!" she begged, falling to her knees. "Please." she sobbed. Cyrus suddenly reappeared on the ground behind her.

"Why not? You seemed just fine without me. If you forgot me once, you can do it again."

"But I'm not fine!" she said. "I left you, and now you're leaving me, how can I be fine?" Ceci looked up at him. "How can i be fine without you? The girls can not and will not replace you, they just can't."

"Then how did you forget me?" Cyrus asked. "How could you forget me so easily if I really mean that much to you? I'm not leaving you. I'm making the decision that you're better off without me. You don't need me." he sighed, looking down at her. "You think I was fine when you forgot I existed?"

"I need you. There is no excuse for what I did. But I do need you." She stood up and turned to face him. "I need the guy who will listen to all my ramblings and answer my ridiculous questions, the guy who would wait for me after class, and who brightened my days for the first time in years, who made me look forward to the end of school rather than make me dread it because of the jerks that would bug me." She stepped forward so they were almost touching. "I'm sure you weren't fine and I'm aware it is completely and utterly my fault and there won't be a thing that I could do to make up for it, but please, don't leave." she extended her hand to touch his cheek, but changed her mind and put it down.

"Cecilia." he stepped back. "I don't just let anyone know about my existence. You are the only person that I've ever shown myself to. I won't forget you, ever. So if you can promise that you won't forget me again, I'll stay. But it takes trust. And I don't have a lot of it."

"How can I prove myself?" she asked "How can I prove my promise to stay by your side?"

"Promises are only promises once made secure. Promises are only reassurance, they're not truth." Cyrus stepped back further. "Believe that you'll do it. And then you will." he disappeared.

"I will... I swear it on my life..." she sat down next to the tree just thinking, until Ally found her and made her go back to her room.

" she sat down next to the tree just thinking, until Ally found her and made her go back to her room