Thirty Six

Worried and concerned thoughts had clogged Cyrus' mind all night after Cecilia had left him so abruptly. It was late at night, and she was unusually distressed and desperate. He just wanted to know what was happening. If she was okay. If she was safe.

An overwhelming feeling of relief washed over him the next day when he saw her walking towards the tree the next afternoon. When she was close enough to him, he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her into a hug.

"I'm so glad you're okay... what happened last night?" He asked. Cecilia pulled away from the hug with tears in her eyes.

"Rae was taken to the I-Isle and we had to go get her back." Ceci explained, trembling.

"The Isle?" Cyrus' eyes widened. "Is she okay now? Are you okay?" He looked into her eyes. "Please don't cry darling."

"She's okay... but the Isle was horrible." Ceci said, shaking her head. "The people were scary, the poverty was astonishing, it was like hell." She got out, tears running down her cheeks. "I don't want to go back. And I wouldn't wish it upon anyone.... especially you."

"It's okay... you're here now. You're safe." He wiped her tears away. "You don't have to worry about what you saw or who you met... there's nothing any of us can do about it." She stepped back from his touch.

"Yes, but you're not safe... and there is something I can do about it." She began, still crying.

"What do you mean...?" He asked uncertainly, a frown settling on his lips.

"We always knew that there was a risk you'd be found, there always has been." Ceci sobbed. "And me seeing you... makes that risk greater. You only go visible with me. People can only find you when you're with me."

"No... darling... please don't say what I think you're going to say..." Cyrus shook his head.

"I've seen the Isle, Cyrus." She ignored him, although his words sent a bolt of pain through her. "I can't risk you being condemned to living there. And I'm the only reason you would be found." She looked at him with teary eyes. "I can't see you anymore."

"No..." Cyrus stepped towards her. "Cecilia you're the only person I have... please don't do this..." He begged. However, she stepped back.

"I have to. Don't you understand? If you got sent to the Isle, because of me, I couldn't." She stopped to sob. "I couldn't forgive myself."

"But... darling, you're worth the risk..." he started to tear up. "I don't want to stop seeing you. You're my..." he trailed off. "Best friend. You're the only person I have."

"Cyrus, you're my best friend too. Which is why I'm doing this. You haven't seen the Isle." She looked down and shuddered. "I don't want to do this, it's the last thing I want. But if it means you'll be safe... I'll gladly take the pain."

"Darling... I don't care... I want to see you." A tear rolled down his cheek. "Please."

"But I do. I care too much." Ceci looked up at him. "It's for your own good." She said, choking up at her words. "I'm sorry. Goodbye Cyrus." She whispered, then immediately ran away, going to her room, where she knew Cyrus would not be able to follow her.

" She whispered, then immediately ran away, going to her room, where she knew Cyrus would not be able to follow her