Chapter Thirty

Janice Kitchings P.O.V

10 years later

I stared down at the paper in my hands, the address written on it was smudged but still readable, I walked through this small town in Maine before stumbling on an old grocery store like in the pictures i was sent... I finally noticed a sign across the street read 'Yellow Tree Rd'

When I walked along the sidewalks I glanced up from the paper after passing each house, looking for the one painted Blue.

"Are you lost, Ma'am?"a woman asked me, she was raking in her yard when she saw me walking along looking as confused as ever. "Actually yes, do you know where I can find this house?"I asked her, showing her the picture I and been staring at "Yes Ma'am, right over there, They might be home."she stated, pointing a few houses down. I nodded and thanked her, practically jogging the rest of the way. When I got to the driveway I smiled, seeing a broken red tricycle and a jump rope in the front yard, a baby doll placed on the porch.

Hesitantly I knocked on the screen door, unsure of what honestly lay ahead... I was relieved when that same little brunette opened the door, she opened her mouth to say something but after seeing my face she paused, immediately unlocking the screen door and opening it "Janice? Oh my-- Please come inside."she spoke, when she pulled me in i could help but notice her bloated belly, she was easily seven to eight months pregnant.

She led me into the dining room and pulled a chair out for me even though i tried to do it myself "what are you doing here?"she asked, sitting down across from me, I studied her features, her eyes were lit up with happiness and excitement but the bags under her eyes told a different story "I haven't seen you in Eight years, I'm allowed to have a visit"I joked, causing her to laugh and then stand up "do you want some Coffee? I don't drink it but I can make some."she offered, suddenly I saw Colby enter the room, completely oblivious to my presence.

"Hey, Babe, do you know where I left the tape?"he asked, opening up a few drawers, Josie laughed at him and poked him in the shoulder to get his attention, when he looked over at me it took him a moment for it to click, then suddenly he ran over to me and pulled up a chair beside Josie "Janice! Josie why didn't you tell me she was coming, I would've had Ella brush her hair."he said, I looked over at Josie in confusion "Ella?"I asked, Josie nodded gently "our daughter... would you like to meet her?"she offered, I happily agreed and Josie stood in the hall "Ella! Come here please!"she called, placing a hand over her stomach as she did.

Then the cutest little girl I had ever seen came running in, she had long wavy brown hair and her mother's Gray eyes, I covered my mouth to stop myself from grinning so hard I would scare the poor child. She immediately ran over to Colby and crawled into his lap, Josie stood next to them and ran her fingers through the girls hair, before I could speak a second child ran in, a little boy who clearly had just learned to walk and was enjoying every step.

"Ella this is Nana Janice"she explained, I watched as the little girl stared at me with uncertainty before grabbing Colbys hand and bending all of his fingers as if they were a toy "She's kinda shy."Colby explained, pretending as if there wasn't a child trying to break his finger.

"Oh and this little boy is CJ, he just had his second birthday a few weeks ago."Josie said, lifting up the toddler and holding him on her hip, I stared at this family in amazment. It was hard to grasp that these young teens I once knew are now fully grown adults with children. "I'm five."Ella spoke, not enjoying the attention shift over to her brother.

I giggled and nodded "they'll warm up to you, I promise... "Colby said, glancing up at Josie for a moment before speaking up again "how long are you in town?"he asked me "Probably a few days."I answered, Josie nodded and set CJ down in a highchair off to the side "These hotels around here aren't very good, you can always stay here. We have an extra room for a few more weeks before we make it into a nursery again. "She spoke resting her hand on the top of her belly, her body is so tiny that it took up a good seventy percent of her but none the less she rocked it just like I thought she would.

Seeing them again gave me a feeling of peace, they did what everyone said they wouldn't do. They built a life together and they are happier than anyone at that hospital could have imagined they'd be, Josie and I talked almost all night, she told me about how difficult it was to go through her pregnancies without any type of feminine help, the first year they were gone I was under investigation and couldn't contact them, the second year I was invited to their wedding, i stood in place of Josies mother and I can honestly say I've never cried harder in my entire life. But unfortunately after the wedding I had to go home and since they live across the country I couldn't visit them so often... then after awhile they moved and we lost contact. Although I did get a letter three years later from Josie telling me everything was fine and she included two pictures in it.

One of Colby infront of that old Grocery store and the other was of them both sitting infront of their home, a small blue house with a sign on the porch reading "C+J"

I still remember the first time Josie confessed to me that she loved Colby .."I love him so much, ms. Kitching. I know that i shouldn't be in love with 'someone like him' but i am"... her words still burned into my mind, marking the moment I knew that they were going to be together until the end of time.

THE END