Chapter {1}

(1258 words)

Chapter 1-

The next morning Bray-Lynne woke up around eleven. She didn't have to work at the theater so she slept in. Usually she had to be up at 5 am and at the Theater by 8 and she worked until 4:30. She would then head home for a shower, lunch and a quick nap before walking with Beth to the DiCaprio building where she would take third shift and work until all the cleaning was done. Which usually only took a few hours or so.

She made her bed, laid out some clothes for the day. She didn't have to work but she did need to go pick up her check for the week. After laying her clothes out she headed to her small bathroom where she took a nice relaxing shower.

She always paid a little extra attention to her hair. She had the thickest hair and it only made things worse when she washed it. So she had to wash it twice with conditioner to make it even somewhat manageable.

After Bray-Lynne was ready she grabbed her bag; and after double checking to make sure her door was locked she began her short walk to the movie theater. There was a quicker way of getting there but Bray-Lynne loved walking past the little park and seeing all the people happy and children playing.

When Bray- Lynne got to the theater she headed for the back room where her boss kept all the checks laid out on a table. She signed her name to the list that was laid out. The list was basically there to ensure the right person was picking up the check.

If there was one good thing about the place it was that no one who worked there was a thief.

" Hey Bray-Lynne, can you work tonight, good thanks." Her boss Keith yelled at her as he walked over to a couple of teenage girls. Keith Morgan was a pervert.

Bray hated the way he was a grown man flirting with underage girls. But what was even more appalling was some girls even went into the ladies room, or the cleaning closet with him. It was truly repulsive.

Bray opened her mouth to tell Keith no, but someone else had before she could even get a word out.

"I'm sorry but Miss. Carder will no longer be working for you." Bray-Lynne looked over to find Devon DiCaprio standing there dressed in a nice suit with a smile on his face, but his eyes were not kind. She could see hatred and disgust behind them.

Devon walked over to where Bray-Lynne was standing.

" Oh...Uh, Mr. DiCaprio..." Bray-Lynne began but didn't get to finish because Devon was already wrapping his arm around her waist and pulling her out of the theater. Bray-Lynne tried to break out of his hold but his arm was like a steel vice. It just wouldn't let her go. No matter how much she pulled and squirmed around. She was pushed into an awaiting limo and Devon got in after her. Sitting inside was Jill, his assistant. She was a pretty woman.

Jill was the kind of woman who relished in her looks and the men she attracted.

"Hello Bray- Lynne." Jill looked at Bray-Lynne with interest. What made him pick her? Out of all the girls she had lined up for him, he picked the stupid and poor one. At least she had picked girls who came from a rich background.

"Hello." Bray waved at Jill before directing her attention back to Devon. He had just come to her work and quit for her. She needed that job. He didn't understand. He would never understand. He had everything, while she had barely anything.

"I hope you understand I need that job." Bray-Lynne spoke,anger lacing her voice.

Devon didn't feel guilty. He had finally made his choice and even after such a short, short time knowing who Bray-Lynne was , he was going to make her the richest, most beautiful woman he or any man for that matter had ever laid eyes on. Yet she was already very beautiful.

"I have a matter to discuss with you Ms.Carder. Just not here." He looked at Jill who gave him a sour look. He knew she didn't like this, but it wasn't up to her, it was after all his job on the line.

Jill, Savannah and Jason were the only ones besides himself who knew about the plan. Bray-Lynne would be given the choice to say no, but he hoped she'd say yes.

Given the condition in which she was currently in thanks to him.

When the limo pulled up to Devon's house Bray-Lynne could feel her breath leave her body. He had such a beautiful home. Something you only see in those fancy magazines on the newspaper stand in front of businesses during work hours.

"What a lovely home Mr. DiCaprio." Bray-Lynne looked over to Devon who was talking to Jill. She could already tell they wouldn't be getting along.

She found it weird the way Jill hung all over her boss. If she didn't know any better she would assume they were together, but according to her best friend Beth, Devon wasn't in any known relationship.

"Of course, thank you, please right this way." Devon held his arm out for Bray to link hers with his. Once she did he was pulling her alongside him and into his massive home.

She didn't have time to look around because Devon was in a hurry. His father and uncle would be there in less than an hour and he needed an answer. He had no other option. The women that Jill had chosen for him, he knew damn well his parents wouldn't approve of which meant his uncle wouldn't approve of them either.

They entered a conference room.

"Sit." Jill ordered her.

Bray-Lynne took a seat in one of the dark brown leather chairs around the all glass table. Bray was amazed by the table. How could something so fragile look so amazing?

"Okay so it's simple, my uncle wants to take back the company because he doesn't think I am ready for it. Even after everything I have done. He has legal rights to do so. He wants me to have a wife. I had a line up of many, many women and I have decided to choose you. I am willing to pay you seven million dollars to be my wife for two years."Devon said.

"What if I don't want to be your wife?" Bray asked. She knew she would say yes. The money was just too much to pass over. When someone offers you seven million you don't pass it up, unless it's to kill someone. Then you run and don't look back.

"You can walk right out that door and we will never speak again." Devon answered her.

"Okay, and what happens after those two years?" She asked.

"We will decide whether we want to stay married or not. If not, we go our separate ways." Devon said.

"I'll say yes, but on one condition, I stay out of the press." She knew Devon was always in the press. He was a famous man, and she didn't want her business being all over the magazines.

"Then we have a deal!" Devon answered back, without a second thought.

Jill sat back watching the two talk. She knew Devon needed this, but why not choose her? She would have been a much better match. Besides, she already knew his family.

She wasn't shocked Bray-Lynne had agreed so willingly a poor, gold digger like her wouldn't pass up seven million.