Chapter 4

"Alright, here is your room."

Jonathan stepped inside the spacious room, with a real bed, dressers and a mirror, even his own bathroom.

It reminded him of his old room at his parent's house, but several times better.

"This...this is really nice."

Jonathan whispered, looking around the simple yet perfect room.

"I'm glad you think so, this is our last open room."

Ohm said with a chuckle, looking around the room as well.

Jonathan opened and closed drawers, poked his head in the bathroom to see an unbroken mirror, and running water; everything worked.

He plopped down on his bed, grateful to not feel every spring and tear like his old mattress.

"Well you seem happy,"

Ohm scoffed, sitting beside Jon.

Jonathan chuckled before sitting back up and looking around the room.

His room.

"I've never had a room this nice before."

Ohm side-glanced Jonathan, but didn't ask.

"You going to take off your jacket now?"

Jonathan paused, his wings had gone practically numb from the jacket, but he knew he needed to stretch them.

With a small nod, he managed to tear off the jacket and release his wings, throwing the false horns off his head. He stretched his wings, their blue feathers catching the light and tinting it cerulean.

"Wow, you've got some nice wings."

Ohm said with a smirk, winking at Jonathan when he turned around. Jon scoffed rolled his eyes, running his hand through his uneven hair.

"No, I've seen way cooler. Eagle, cardinal, dove,"

He gestured to Ohm's wings.

"But I've never seen another blue jay, which makes me a sore thumb."

Jonathan sat back down on the bed, resting his head in his hands.

"So what? Sore thumbs are the coolest! I've seen so many other doves that I wish I had wings like yours. Why would you want to blend in?"

~

Jonathan saw his friend, staring at him with soft eyes.

"You're an Omega? I thought only girls could be Omegas."

He paused, or maybe Jon forgot what he said. The scene morphed and his friend was there again.

"You plucked the feathers right? Your parents can't find out..."

Another scene change.

"What do you mean they're growing faster? That's impossible!"

Another.

"Your wings are bright blue! You're not going to be able to hide this forever!"

Another.

"Maybe we can dye them. I'm sure your parents wouldn't mind a kid with raven wings...even if you are a boy."

Another.

"How long?"

This time the setting settled. They were standing in the janitor's closet.

Their secret hideout.

"Answer me, Jonathan!"

The word sent a tingle down his spine, and he couldn't stop the truth.

"For a m-month."

His friend stared at him, the prick of his horns poking through his scalp. His dark eyes that were once soft now held anger.

"You've had a crush on me for a month? Jonathan no wonder your wings are growing faster! You've had fucking fantasies of me putting my dick in your ass!"

Jonathan was trembling, and his voice was forced mute in terror.

"Oh my fucking god, Jonathan are you serious? You're a fucking disgrace! Why would I ever like you? You're an Omega, sure, but really? At least find a female Alpha! No, wait, you have fucking weird-ass blue wings, nobody could ever love you!"

Jonathan was frozen stiff in shock, tears slicing his cheeks.

"J-James, I-"

"Shut the fuck up, slut."

James snapped, shoving Jonathan away before stomping out of the closet and slamming the door.

That was the night he had decided to pluck all his feathers so that he wouldn't be such a disgrace.

A week later was the night his parents found the piles of blue feathers in the trash.

That was the night he was left on his own.

~

"Hey, hey Jonathan, you alright?"

Jonathan blinked and found himself curled up on his bed.

His soft, new bed.

His wings were wrapped around him and tears were flowing in a steady stream.

How long had he been crying?

"Jonathan! Can you hear me?"

This time Jon nodded numbly.

He heard Ohm sigh beside him before standing.

"I'll let you get settled."

Jon nodded again, letting his wings fall loosely. Ohm opened and closed the door gently, leaving Jonathan alone.

"He's had a rough time. I think we should leave him alone for a bit."

That was Ohm again, talking to someone on the other side of the door. Jon turned to watch the door, the warm wood still not moving as more voices spoke.

"Will he be able to help us on missions? We can't keep a useless part of the team."

That sounded like Tyler.

"I'm sure as he adjusts he'll be fine. Besides, he's as old as I was when I joined you guys."

Evan.

"Evan, you're only 21. You are barely old enough to go to a bar."

Tyler again.

"Doesn't mean he's so young he can't handle himself. Mini, you said you saw him with a gun?"

That was Evan again.

"Yeah, he robbed a gas station. A small one, but that means he's smart enough to not bite off more than he can chew. I think he'll make a great addition."

The conversation either ended, or everyone moved away from his door.

We're they talking about him?

That was a dumb question, of course they were.

And why did they care that he robbed a gas station?

Didn't that make him untrustworthy?

Jon sighed, forcing those thoughts away.

It didn't matter. Now, he could sleep. And on a real bed.

Jonathan crawled under his blankets, (He had blankets!!), and quickly drifted off to sleep.

His mind was filled with broken hearts and gunshots.