Chapter 49

Thick fog swamped the city. It clouded vision and made it nearly impossible to see. Sight was limited to a few feet in front of faces, and Omegas were grounded in fear of crashing into buildings or each other.

Search parties were desperate and groggy as they trudged through empty streets on foot.

John and Smitty were together, Brock and Brian having split from them a block or two back. They had decided checking the outer edges of the city would be good, since that had been the rumored place that Canaries prepped Omegas for "shipping". Smitty had felt sick as he walked the streets, memories flashing behind his eyes as he remembered walking the same streets several years back.

Hands wrapping around his face and binding his wings.

His coffee spilling across the concrete as panic filled him.

Those 2 months he spent waiting to be shipped off to who knew where...

"Smitt? You okay?"

The dove blinked from his mind, glancing at John's worried gaze before sending him a weak smile.

"Y-yeah."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

Smitty saw John's bedroom, hardly furnished as the antelope bounced a tennis ball against the wall. They had spent night after night together, trading bases and getting to know one another. They had spilled their stories, John getting dragged in by his friends when he was 17 and never turning back. Smitty's unfortunate Canary run-in forcing him into their new life whether he liked it or not...

"No, I'm fine."

The Alpha nodded, catching the dove's fingers and giving his hand a comforting squeeze. Smitty squeezed back, sighing as he turned his gaze back to the scenery around them.

Most of it was lost to the haze of the fog, but the neon signs of the city stained parts red and blue like spray paint.

Streetlights dyed the fog golden like a stairway to heaven itself.

"You know,"

John said after a few moments of listening to their feet scuff concrete,

"If this wasn't such a dire situation, this would be a cute date."

Smitty scoffed at the comment, his giggles adding to the magical feel of the street.

"Yeah, I guess. If you're into Silent Hill."

They both laughed at the reference, a passing car whisking past them.

"Can't wait to have the Canaries come out dressed as some of those monsters,"

John commented, Smitty shivering at the thought.

"That's disgusting and I hope I never have to think of that image again,"

The dove retorted, swinging their interlaced fingers.

"Oh come on, I bet if I wore one in the bedroom it'd become your new kink."

"Thank you John, for the worst mental image of my life!"

Smitty shrieked, trying to pull his hand from John as the antelope gripped it tighter.

"Aw, I wouldn't even be a cute monster?"

"You'll be a single monster if you don't stop!"

That shut the Alpha up, only for his laughter to dance and swim through the air.

They turned down an old-looking road, crumbling houses and an old factory lining the broken sidewalk.

"Now it really is Silent Hill,"