Chapter 28

Evan's eyes were trained on the stairs, but the smell of milk and cherries was already fading.

Smitty was going back to Jonathan.

Evan tore his gaze away from the steps, but his fingernails were digging sharply into his palm.

He needed to focus on something else.

His mind immediately tossed several hundred crumpled thoughts at him, all of them notes and emotions he had filed away to deal with and handle later.

Most of them he had been fixed in the several years he had been boss, but the more recent ones made the feathers in his brain twitch in agitation.

<i>Brock calling Jonathan "mine"</i>.

<i>My vow so easily broken for Jonathan</i>.

<i>Jonathan not leaving his room</i>.

He managed a sigh and ran a hand through his unruly hair.

He had a bad habit of pushing things till later, but now he had nowhere to delay these thoughts.

He knew why the azure feathers in his mind clouded his judgement.

It clung to him like a virus, never freeing him from its clutches.

At this point, he wondered if it would ever leave.

<i>Talk to him.</i>

Evan's fingers clenched tighter into his palm, tearing the skin.

It sounded easy.

So <i>stupidly</i> easy.

So <i>horrifically fucking easy</i>, that he knew it wouldn't work.

Something would go wrong.

He would say something and Jonathan would leave, this time lost forever, and there was nothing-

Vanilla and Lavender.

Evan's eyes, that he didn't know he had closed, opened fully at the scent.

The addictive and sweet scent pushed some of the feathers in his mind into hiding.

An accompaniment of milk and cherries billowed in a sugary cloud around the two Omegas, and Evan looked at the stairs in time to see Smitty tentatively coming down the last few steps before beckoning someone beside him.

A flicker of blue feathers was all it took for Evan to leap to his feet, almost tripping over Tyler.

"Evan! What the-"

Tyler's snap was cut off when the Alpha noticed the two Omegas at the base of the stairs.

Smitty was holding Jonathan's sleeve, trying to tug him downstairs.

The kitchen table fell silent.

The jay-wing was staring wide-eyed, ocean gaze locked on Evan.

The feathers were fluttering away.

The world was quieting.

Evan could almost see the smell of vanilla and lavender flowing off of Jonathan in perfect ribbons.

"Jonathan! How are you? I was so worried,"

Evan couldn't wipe the massive smile off his face, but Jonathan shifted his feet uncomfortably.

"F-fine."

"That's good,"

Evan practically cooed, feeling every bit of stress and worry hat had wracked his body melt away with Jonathan's scent.