Chapter 36

Evan recognized his hoodie first, bright blue stained and ruined by dark scarlet.

Then his ruffled black hair, and the hypnotizing, drug-like scent that followed him like a cloud.

Evan's head spun at the inviting and warm smell, and he felt a hand on his chest when he subconsciously leaned forward for more.
"No, Evan,"

Brock scolded quietly, his nose twitch clear that he could smell the melted vanilla in the air as well,

"You need to stay seated so I can finish the bandage."
Evan didn't fight Brock, although he didn't lean back down.

The eagle had already finished wrapping his shoulder.

"Go fix him."
Evan said it almost as a whisper, terror beginning to bleed into his limbs when the jay-wing didn't stir as he was laid on Tyler's table.

He could hear his heartbeat, unnervingly slow, but still there.

"You need to save him."

Evan turned his dark gaze toward Brock, pleading pouring into his expression until the Omega bit his lip.

"You have to promise to stay in this chair. No leaving."

"No leaving,"

Evan repeated, not braking his locked gaze with Brock until the Omega turned away and dashed toward Smitty and Jonathan.

John had finished with Nogla, and was now cleaning blood off of Brian's face.

It kept soaking through the cloth.

"Smitty, are you okay?"

Brock asked as he began cutting Jonathan's hoodie off.

Evan knew the Omega would want a new one, and he almost stood up to stop Brock.

No leaving.

Evan told himself again, tucking his feet below his chair.

"I-I'm fine, focus on Jon."

The dove-wing said quietly, hovering near the table.

His white wings were ruffled anxiously, almost blocking Evan's line of sight to the table.

He wanted to push his way forward, stand nearby and help save the jay.

He untucked his feet.

No leaving.

His legs trembled slightly as he steadily put more weight on them.

No leaving.

He hesitated, half crouched as his legs still brushed the chair.

No leaving. I need to stay.

He slowly sat back down, crossing his arms and rubbing them to distract himself.

The smell of vanilla was clearing his blurry mind and filling it with mist as it filled the room.

"Can you help me, Smitt?"

Brock handed the other Omega another warm cloth and they got to cleaning the bleeding jay.

The ruined and dark violet hoodie crumpled to the ground, along with a tattered and blood-soaked shirt. Evan could smell the lavender that clung to the clothes, like someone had spritzed a bottle of perfume in the room.