Chapter 7

"What do you mean you lost him?"

Brock kept his gaze on the floor, Smitty staring at one of the bookcases like this office was the last place he wanted to be. Craig had his arms crossed, staring at Ohm angrily. Ohm seemed to be searching for the right things to say, occasionally looking at his fellow Omegas for help that they refused to offer.

"Well...we-"

"Ohm started blabbering about fucking drugs and Omega trafficking!"

Craig snapped, snapping his arms to his sides as he turned to face the other Omega.

Evan felt a shudder run through his body.

He hated talking about the dark side of their job.

The four of them had come into his office with drooping and tense wings, and a very apparent lack of a new Omega.

Now, Ohm seemed to be the only one trying to come up with an excuse for his disappearance.

"Ohm, why would you bring that up?"

Evan asked exasperatedly, glaring at the Omegas in front of him.

Ohm looked up defensively, snapping,

"Jonathan asked what we do for this 'job'! I was telling him about the docks and it kind of...slipped out."

"Ohm, you know we never mention those things unless it's business related, let alone to a 1-day-old member of our team!"

Ohm hung his head, and his wings dropped further.

He feels guilty.

Evan analyzed, realizing Ohm would be too lost in his mind to be much more help.

They had to find Jonathan.

Before anyone else did.

Turning toward Brock, Evan said calmly,

"Brock, do we know which direction he went?"

"South."

The man answered immediately, finally looking up from the ground.

"Let's send out a search party. The Canaries have been more active lately, and we need to make sure we are the first to find him."

"We've already looked everywhere. He's gone."

Mumbled Craig, looking solemnly at Evan.

"Then we'll look again."

All eight eyes turned to look at Evan, curiosity bubbling up in all of them.

He'll deal with that later.

"I want all of you to grab an Alpha and head out. Search each building you can get into, and check all the accessible rooms in any abandoned buildings you find. We'll find him."

The Omegas nodded, then headed out.

However, Brock stayed behind.

"Why are you so eager to find him? We can just wait until he reappears on our radar."

Evan blinked in surprise.

That was true, he knew they could've waited.

An Omega who didn't know what scent blockers were couldn't avoid them for forever. And the Canaries weren't exactly quiet about their whereabouts.

But, how much longer could he last without smelling that sweet vanilla and lavender again? Jonathan had smelled so sweet, yet his scent so faded from being homeless that it had taken him a moment to realize the details of his smell.