Chapter 27

Lui scanned the several computer screens in front of him, the black and white images flickering as the other Betas in the room scrolled through footage looking for any recent Canary activity.

Anthony was seated in front of him with the biggest screen, then Nogla to his right and Scotty to his left. Marcel was standing behind his boyfriend, his own sharp gaze evaluating the slightly fuzzy videos.

Craig was also in the room, his steely expression eying Nogla's screen. However, Lui knew his thoughts were elsewhere by the twitch of gray wings.

Lui brushed those thoughts away for later. He needed to focus.

He had heard rumors and whispers among the ranks of the Canaries about another drug heist at the ports, and was directing his fellow Betas in that direction in hope of finding a herd or two scoping out where their ship would be arriving.

Anthony had been the one to spot them on the cameras, and turned around to look at Lui with a smirk plastered to his face.

"Found 'em!"

He had called, his smile falling when he saw Lui pale.

Lui stared at the Alphas again, blinking as if what he was seeing was incorrect.

Because...it was.

It <i>had</i> to be.

Slinking stealthily between containers, with horns and antlers sharpened to knifepoint, were <i>his</i> men.

His group of men he had <i>specifically</i> told to avoid the ports.

Lui watched as the one leading them, his second in command, pointed at a group of sailors and they all ducked out of sight.

"That's them, isn't it?"

Anthony asked quietly. Lui only nodded as his men were on the move again.

"Then...what's wrong?"

Scotty asked, his worried expression eyeing the sick-looking Lui.

He and his men were part of the Omega section.

The only reason Squirrel would even <i>think</i> about disobeying his orders would be if-

"They're searching for Omegas."

He said quietly.

"Why would t'ey be looking fer Omegas if t'ey're attemptin' a drug heist?"

Nogla asked, clicking to another camera to follow Squirrel and the other three Alphas.

"They're not attempting a drug heist."

Marcel answered grimly, crossing his arms across his chest.

The room fell into a heavy silence as cameras flickered to follow the four Alphas.

"Check...check 123 Playground Stret."

Lui asked, tapping Anthony on the back.

The Beta quickly found the camera feed from that street, but the playground and nearby neighborhood were empty.

"But...that's where I heard they were meeting their buyer! There should be at least three groups scouting out places to hide out to ensure they get the money, why is it empty?!"

Lui began pacing behind the Betas, ignoring the eyes of Marcel on him as he ran a worried hand through his hair.

"Did you hear that from a rumor?"