Chapter 21

As Jonathan and Evan reached the last steps of the stairs, Jonathan's eyes widened and his wings tensed tightly.

Brock and Brian were in the kitchen, Brock helping Brian knead some cookie dough as the Alpha's face flushed with embarrassment and affection.

Jonathan's heart pounded in his ears, eyes darting over the other members of the gang.

Nogla paced the area around the table with his phone to his ear, a bright and excited smile on his face as a pink hue etched its way onto his cheeks.

Marcel and Scotty were seated beside Tyler and Craig, all of them with remotes in hand as Mario Kart started up. Marcel glanced out at the city every few moments, watching the sun blaze the sky and glint off buildings and cars before returning to the game and playfully jabbing at Scotty.

Tyler seemed to brush off any small remark Craig made, with the Omega's wide smile seeming to fall with each ignored comment.

Smitty and John stood out on the porch, the bandaged dove-wing chuckling as the Alpha made shapes with his vape smoke.

Anthony was dashing between the kitchen and living room, stealing cookie dough and poking fun at Tyler and Scotty.

Luke and Ohm were nowhere to be seen.

Jonathan found his gaze back on the eagle-wing in the kitchen. Nobody seemed to realize the Omega convicted with attacking him was just standing in the kitchen, flirting with Brian.

"Jon? You okay?"

Jonathan was pulled from his mind at Evan's question, turning to see the tired Alpha's eyebrows scrunched in worry.

"W-why is..."

Jonathan lost his words, one foot already preparing to run up the stairs. Brock glanced up at the pair, smiling with a wave before turning back to the cookie dough he was rolling out.

Jon could feel his feathers trembling when an arm snaked its way around his shoulders and pulled him to face Evan.

"Jonathan, you're okay! I'm right here."

The jay-wing blinked, realizing how quick his breathing had gotten before he tried calming it. Evan rubbed his arm while speaking soothingly.

"There you go, you're alright. Deep breaths."

Jonathan nodded, then with one last sigh he relaxed. However, all of his instincts screamed for him to run upstairs, and the only reason he didn't was because of Evan's securing grip.

"You alright?"

Evan asked finally, worry thick in his voice. Jon nodded, then glanced back at the kitchen.

Brock was helping Brian choose some cookie cutters.

"Why is Brock here?"

Jonathan heard the words fall from his mouth before he could register them, but turned toward Evan for an answer anyway.

The Alpha's gaze darted from the kitchen back to Jonathan, before he took a deep breath.

"I let him out. He's innocent."

Jonathan blinked, Evan's words seeping into his still frenzied mind.

Brock is free. He's innocent.

Jonathan didn't like the pool of doubt that filled his gut.

Sure, he hadn't known Brock or anyone for long, but how did they know?