Chapter 12

Evan and Brian's groups came back during lunch, some people playing video games or scrolling through phones as they entered. Brian and Scotty filled up the cupboards and fridge, much to Jonathan's excitement.
Evan and his group had brought back traps from their weapon dealer (someone named Fitz? Jon overheard Marcel whispering to Scotty).
The blue-winged Omega offered to help Evan set up his traps, but the Alpha insisted he stay and play some games of Mario Kart.
He would have argued, but Smitty and Ohm insisted, Brock and Mini going with everyone else to head downstairs.
However, as Ohm was setting up the game and everyone had left, Jonathan turned to the other two.
"So how do you trap an Alpha? Can't they just tear out of a net?"
Smitty answered, pushing his glasses further up his nose as he glanced at Jonathan.
"Evan uses tasers, or tranq darts. Then we connect it to our security system so instead of just setting off an alarm, the intruder will be hit with one or the other. Depends on their entry point."
Jonathan nodded, then had his attention grabbed as Ohm passed him a controller.
Shrugging, Jonathan chose his character.
Maybe he didn't have to worry as much as he did, but wasn't it better to know those around you than to just have blind trust?

The traps didn't take long to set up, and after testing the accuracy of the dart guns with a tennis ball, the guys began cooking dinner or playing other video games.
Jonathan had seemed to grow more comfortable around the guys, although Evan knew he was still holding back, like he was scared of getting too close to them.
He just wished he knew why.
The Omega was laughing with Ohm and Luke, seeming to follow their trail of humor easily.
Yet, he never seemed to laugh as hard as the others.
He would chuckle, maybe giggle, but never laugh to the point of tears like the others did.
Evan was pulled from his thoughts when the smell of milk and cherries grew stronger beside him.
"Hey, Evan."
Smitty cooed, the Alpha turning to face him. His hair was fluffed to a gentle swoop, his usual hat absent and 3D glasses on the edge of his nose.
"Hey, Smitt!"
Evan said, smiling warmly. The Omega had been the youngest before Jonathan, although he was only a year younger than Evan.
They had gotten pretty close, even if Evan knew Smitty loved John.
"Checking on Jonathan?"
He asked, moving to stand beside Evan. Evan scoffed, then proposed,
"That obvious?"
Smitty chuckled, then said,
"A little. You always seem to be trying to keep an eye on him."
Evan missed the sideways glance from the Omega.
"Yeah, just making sure he fits in."
Evan wasn't sure if he was telling Smitty or himself.
Had he been taken a special interest in the Omega?
Could he blame himself?
Evan's smile faltered a bit, watching as Jonathan got scooped up and noogied by Luke. He giggled until Luke released him, his smile suddenly wavering as if he could see something that wasn't there.
Then he excused himself, shoving his hands in his hoodie pocket and slowly marching upstairs. Evan frowned at the reaction, and Luke turned to ask Ohm if he had done anything wrong.
Evan watched as the blue hoodie vanished, then began slowly going after him.
However, his wrist was caught by Smitty.
"M-maybe you should let him go,"
The Omega seemed unsure, but had his dark eyes locked on Evan.
"Stay here, let him cool off a bit."
Evan blinked in confusion, then glanced up that stairs.
There was a distinct sound of a door closing.
Sighing, Evan nodded. Smitty's lips pulled into a smile, and his wing brushed Evan's back apologetically.
"You need to relax. Why don't you join me in an Uno game?"
He gestured to the table, where John, Brock and Brian were already getting out the colorful cards, poking fun at each other.
Not yet...
He thought to himself, finding something on his mental list he had yet to do.
"Next game. I have to check something really quick,"
Evan promised with a nod. Smitty's smile fell slightly, but he nodded.
"Alright. Next game."
Evan gave him another warm smile, then walked toward his office.

He could feel Smitty's eyes on his back until he turned the corner, then the Omega turned away.
Evan paused there for a moment, standing in front of his office door. Then he turned to the opposite end of the hallway, where the door to the closet under the stairs stood.
He had told everyone to avoid the door all day, but now that he had a chance, he wanted to investigate it.
He slowly stepped back into the kitchen, seeing John passing Smitty his cards as the game started.
Nogla, Marcel, Scotty, and Craig were playing Mario Kart, Craig letting out a cry of anger as he got in last place again.
Anthony and Tyler were sitting on the couches beside them, watching and laughing at the antics that ensued.
Perfect.
Evan walked calmly toward the door, mostly hoping the others wouldn't take notice in him. And if they did, they wouldn't question him.
As he reached the door, the bland and empty smell of scent blockers seemed to reek from under the crack, and when he opened the door it hit him like a wave.
This must be where they applied it.
Evan analyzed, covering his nose and breathing through his mouth.
The closet seemed mostly untouched, some random boxes from years ago and discarded blankets that were tattered beyond use.
There was, however, something on top of the blankets.
It took Evan to realize what it was, but when he did he was sure.
They were Jonathan's antlers.
The fake ones he had worn to hide him being an Omega at first glance.
Evan picked them up, the twisted shape similar to John's, but not nearly as defined.
So it's not a Canary.
Evan realized, placing the horns back on the blankets.
Which means it has to be an Omega. But what Omega would attack another?
As Evan ran through possibilities in his mind, he continued scanning the room.
His eyes and thoughts froze when he landed on an object.
He knew it from anywhere.
And he'd never, ever forget it.