Chapter 18

Jonathan stared at Smitty in horror.

Tyler had ordered he stay by his side, but after the dove-wing has spiraled from the sky, the Alpha had dashed back toward the vans.

Jon had watched Craig barely catch Smitty before nearly colliding with the ground himself, Brian catching the pigeon-wing after he dropped the injured Omega.

Tyler had watched with an unreadable expression as his icy eyes followed the path of the pigeon-wing.

John's reaction to Smitt's whine had startled Jonathan, the Alpha nearly impaling Luke and Tyler in his struggle to reach the fallen Omega.

The other Alphas let out occasional growls as bullets ripped through the air.

Smitty had fallen still.

Craig diligently wrapped the wound that leaked crimson.

Only John could be heard over the gunfire, screaming the Omega's name until his throat was raw.

A hand rested on Jonathan's shoulder and he glanced at the owner.

Evan's eyes hovered over Smitty before glancing back at the jay-wing.

"Come on, the Canaries are beginning to retreat."

Jonathan glanced at Smitty, then let Evan take him by the hand back toward the vans.

The gunfire continued to burn as Jon followed the gang boss.

Jonathan didn't notice his fingers lacing with the Alpha's as he tried to calm the fear that boiled in his chest.

They reached the van and Evan ushered him inside before closing the door behind him, leaving Jonathan in the silence of the van.

His bright eyes followed Evan as the Alpha hurried back toward the dock.

Jonathan closed his wings, dragging his fingers over the blue feathers.

Images of Smitty's broken wings flashed behind his eyelids, and he shuddered.

He never wanted to imagine how it would feel.

There was a rustle outside and Jonathan looked up to see John carrying Smitty toward the van.

The Alpha's expression was steely as Evan opened the door for him.

John laid Smitty next to Jonathan before sitting beside him, pulling the dove-wing back toward his chest.

John rested his chin on Smitty's head, closing his eyes and taking deep breaths.

Jonathan could smell John's rain scent neatly shrouding Smitty's milk and cherries.

The crackle of bullets died out.

Guns were thrown in the trunk, along with Smitty's hat and glasses.

Jonathan stared out the window as the guys filed into the vans.

They drove in silence.

---

John clutched Smitty tightly, a spark of fear igniting at every bump thinking the Omega would slip from his fingers and never wake up.

The addictive smell of milk and cherries danced around his mind in calming cycles.

He had to catch himself from slipping into sleep.

John had glanced a few times at Jonathan, the Omega either staring out the window or scanning over Smitty's bound wing.