chapter 17 - The Jolly Roger

Flashback - One Year Ago

Enchanted Forest

Night - Road

Knights on horseback led a carriage through a path in the forest. Seemingly a knight stood ahead of them in the road, blocking the way, drawing a his sword; it was Killian.

"And just who might you be?" the knight asked.

"I'm the man who's going to relieve you of that chest full of gold you're transporting," Killian told them.

The knight laughed. "You and what army?"

Killian raised his arm, and flaming arrows lit up the forest. "Well, I'm glad you asked. Your choice. Save your lives of the gold."

"Retreat!" the knight ordered.

The knights rode away, leaving the carriage behind with the gold.

Killian removed his helmet. "Smee!" Smee walked out of the forest. "Those arrows took a lot longer to light than discussed."

"It wasn't easy lighting them all by ourselves, captain, especially since Tori, Saphira and Mathias are no longer with us," Smee admitted. "Maybe if we had an actual army."

"And share in the spoils?" Killian asked. "I think not."

"I gotta say, it's good to be at your side again, sir," Smee told him, unlocking the carriage, removing a treasure chest. "And not as a rat. Saphira and Mathias may have turned me into a rat because I tried to kill Belle twice, but..."

Killian chuckled. "I know the grudge Tori, Saphira and Mathias can hold when it comes to Belle, but you becoming human is a lovely side effect of the Curse breaking for you, I'd imagine."

Smee nodded. "I did like the mobility, but being a human is good too."

Smee broke the lock on the treasure chest.

Killian laughed. "What did I tell you, mates? You don't need a ship to be a pirate."

Tavern

Killian was gambling with his crew, raising his mug in a toast. "To the most clever, dastardly band of pirates to ever set sail--" He looked at Smee, both of them laughing. "Stride on the open roads!"

Smee raised his mug. "To Captain Hook!" The men cheered, drinking. "Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. The boys and I chipped in and got you something."

Smee pointed across the tavern to a wench.

"Oh, Mr. Smee, how did you know?" Killian asked.

Smee smiled. "Enjoy! To Captain Hook! Come on, one more."

The wench led Killian out of the tavern.

Outside

Killian gave the wench a pouch of coins.

"I don't understand, your men took care of me," the wench told him.

"And tomorrow, you shall tell them that you had a grand time," Killian told her. "Good night."

The wench left. Killian began to walk away, but was hit over the head with a club, falling to the ground.

Ariel, in a cloak, put a dagger to Killian's throat. "Move and I'll slit your throat."