CHAPTER 18

a.n exams have been tiring, but luckily I've been getting decent grades, how exciting ahh. thank you for being patient!

"You let that rogue into our home! What were you thinking Irene!" father exclaimed, pacing around in his study with steam coming out of his ears. Unlike him, mother sat comfortably in her chair rolling her eyes at my father's demeanour and attitude and huffed. 

  "I was trying to make sure our daughter's life wasn't endangered and hopefully will find out some information about the rogue war that you've been oh-so-hard at work with," she scoffed in reply shooting daggers towards her mate. I heard River let out a small whistle as he sat beside me with his arms crossed, eyes filled with amusement as he watched our parents quarrel. We watched father bite his lip and I could've sworn he shot River a heated glance before back to my mother who was looking as calm as ever.

   "We can't have him running about especially in our own home! Who knows what he could do to our family! I'm all for making sure our daughter isn't endangered, but bringing him to our home is risky. Who knows what he could do if he knew the layout of our home, we cannot trust him," he asserted, slightly calmer this time as he let out a breath and stopped his movements. He rubbed his temples slowly before flickering his eyes over to mine, he seemed to look for assurance, but all I could do was a shrug.

   "Archer, he has to learn to trust us if we want information, torturing the poor man isn't going to do anything other than slowly killing him. Armelle has already had contact with him and we cannot have her reject him, it will cut the ties of the bond and therefore he is useless to us. Even though we cannot trust him, he has to trust us if we want to win this war," mother stressed out and rested her tied hands in her lap, shaking her head.

   "You need to trust me, Archer, work with me not against me," she pleaded and slowly stood up to grasp my father's large hand into hers, her small frame looking so much taller when she did so. His eyes flitted to hers and took a second before he sighed and then looked behind her.

    "Armelle, are you okay with this?" he asked me and I stiffened. He had put me on the spot, eyes wide as I debated my answer. Was I okay with this? Surely my wolf was, but was I? He's a weakness, a wall in my goal and a rogue, I couldn't trust him, let alone begin to think of a relationship. How could I say yes? This was somewhat my plan, but it was a game of cat and mice with him, I couldn't fall in love, but getting close to him was the only way we could win this war and protect my family. This entire situation was wrong, but what if it was the only way to get information?  So many options and so little time to chose.

I had to think quickly and instead, I trusted my gut, and within a few seconds, I had sealed my fate once the words left my lips.

    "I'm okay,"

My father nodded in reply.

-

   "You're back, who would have thought?" was the first words he spoke to me as he sat in the corner of the room with a blanket covering his body, a small grin danced upon his lips as he took me in. I released a shaky breath, calming my nerves as my nose discretely his scent that was heavily potent in the room. I kept my head held high as I gave him a small amused smile.

    "It's your lucky day isn't it?" I replied back as I steadied the tray of food in my hands and took a few steps forward. I heard a soft chuckle escape his lips and my stomach squeezed at the sound, but I remained composed and took two more bold steps.

   "Sure it is," he spoke sarcastically and eyed the food in my hands, he raised an eyebrow as his eyes looked back and forth.

   "So, what's all this?" he asked and I watched him to take a small intake of the smell before looking cautiously at me. I smiled before I gently placed the tray in front of him and stepped back.

   "Dinner, of course, I made it myself," I told him proudly as my mind flickered back to three stressful hours of working the kitchen to make a bread roll, mashed potato, chicken soup and a simple chocolate bar, which my brother almost finished. I watched him shoot me a curious glare as he eyed the food in front of him, his back was tense as he analysed the meal as if scared I had poisoned it, as if.

 "You haven't poisoned it have you?" he questioned, amused as his eyes lifted. I wished I did. I chuckled lightly before I rolled my eyes and looked away from him, trying not to be distracted by the tensing of his muscles. 

   "Of course not, I need you alive you know," I smirked before I decided to take my moves a step forward and slowly sat on the gross ground and crossed my legs. I tried to make myself comfortable on this cold floor and shivered at the touch of my hands with the wet pavement. I felt moisture on my bottom and shrivelled in disgust. Before I even knew it, something warm, fluffy and had a  familiar scent hit my face. I heard a deep rumble and I almost growled as I peeled away the blanket and gave him a pointed look.

   "What's this for?" I asked him blatantly, trying not to sniff the enticing scent as I held it firmly in my grasp. It was a very soft blanket, should've never had given it to him.

    "To cover your butt, duh. For the future Alpha, you're pretty stupid," he said firmly, the spark in his eyes dimming as he looked away from me. I saw the walls begin to form around him as I felt something warm inside of me as I realised the reason behind his actions. I felt tremendously weird in multiple areas as I analysed the situation of the blanket and him before I felt my cheeks redden.

   "Erm, right thank you," was my genius reply. I could feel my wolf stir, happy that he was giving us attention. Emerald was already swooning from him giving us the blanket to sit on. I pulled my emotions down and cleared my throat before I moved myself to sit on the blanket. Thankfully, it was better than sitting on the wet floor and I threw him a thankful smile.

    "Well, aren't you going to eat?" I questioned him, looking down at the food that looked the same when I brought it in.

    "Well, are you just going to watch me eat?" he bit back, imitating me as he threw a quick sideways glance. I scoffed, raising an eyebrow.

    "What do you want me to do then?" I asked him as my eyes went in circles, my voice filled with annoyance.

     "Eat with me," he suggested before throwing the bread roll in my direction and I swiftly caught it in my hand and stared at him in shock. I watched his lips quirk up and another chuckle escaping his throat as he gestured me to take a bite.

    "What?" I asked him dumbfounded as I stupidly held the bread in the palms of my hand.

    "Need to know if you didn't poison my food, therefore if you did, you would die with me," he said cheekily before he grabbed the utensils and began to eat some of the mashed potatoes. Emerald sighed in content, completely missing his last sentence before she told me that he was a good one. I scoffed at her reply and clicked my tongue against the roof of my mouth before staring at the bread again.

    "Are you just going to stare at it all day?" he said, breaking the few seconds of silence. I was about to refute against it, the words on the tip of my tongue wanting to spit fire, but I held it down. Progress. I reminded myself and I sighed, still looking at the bread in my hand before glancing at him again, he looked starved as he ate the food quickly, humming in satisfaction every so often. He looked content, his eyes lighting up every few seconds or so, completely oblivious to me. Dare I say it, he looked cute, like a child eating candy for the first time. I didn't know it at the time, but my lips quirked into a smile and I felt something inside of me. I brought the bread to my lips and I began to eat.