CHAPTER 22

We were strolling through the back garden, it almost looked like a vast field of green with shrubbery and decorations

We were strolling through the back garden, it almost looked like a vast field of green with shrubbery and decorations. I could feel the distance between us as we talked about things, a bunch of random things, our favourite childhood memory, what our favourite food was, but never touched on anything too personal. I but my tongue one too many times as I realised I had grown very curious to the man beside me. We had refrained ourselves from talking about the upcoming war, or I had refrained myself, knowing that if I did ask, he'd get too defensive and ruin our little bubble of bliss.

I noticed how his posture was relaxed, slightly bent as his eyes shone in the light and his skin glowed underneath the warm sun. He took no notice in my staring as he babbled on about this food he was craving, something about a pastry with cream filling inside. It honestly sounded like nonsense to me, or jibberish- his eyes looked like it held the universe in it.

Snap out of it

"It tastes marvellous, so creamy on the inside. I remember my mother used to make it for my brother and me-" he paused and he became all too quiet as if the light inside of him died. We simultaneously stopped walking as the wind picked up in the slightest. His eyes connected with mine and I saw the pain hiding behind those beautiful orbs before it turned cold.

"Uhm, are you okay?" the words slipped out of my mouth like a waterfall.

"We should just drop the topic," he spoke as a gush of cold wind went past us. I felt a prick in my heart at his tone.

"I just asked if you're okay," I defended myself and he tilted his head the other way, I noticed his hands curl.

"I'll be fine," he clipped, I bit my lip.

"Look Arsen-" I had begun before I was cut off.

"It's okay, I'm fine. Can we just drop the topic?" he growled, a flash of gold in his eyes as he became the all-too-familiar man on the first day we met. His anger caught me off guard and I took a step back, almost afraid, before I realised that I was the Alpha, not him.

"Don't you dare speak to me like that Arsen Black, I was only asking if you were alright, like the decent person I am," I barked pointing an accusatory finger at him, filled with annoyance at his disrespect. My wolf taking the disrespect personally, feeling mad that her mate rejected our kindness.

"Decent? You invited me for lunch because you wanted information, treating me like an equal before you're going to dispose of me back into that slimy old cell. So if that's being decent, I don't want it," he hissed taking a bold step forward, I forced myself to look up, trying to make myself bigger as I pushed out my fur, but he still shadowed over me with his height. I couldn't help but breathe in his scent, I suddenly felt very warm, his close proximity was almost suffocating.

Stay strong, stay strong

"At least I'm trying, you don't know what kind of shit I have to deal with when it comes down to you," I countered. I could feel my chest brush against his and I gritted my teeth, feeling my fists curl.