Chapter 9: The Angel

Chapter 9

The Angel

I was out for my evening jog, through my since nine years of age home town, Albany New York, along the Hudson River. Albany was a dazzling and beautiful city and at night, it lit up like fireworks on the Fourth of July. Despite all of the crime occurrences, there was much cadence to be appreciated. It was a chilly night, yet I was enjoying the chilliness in a simple turquoise velour outfit with a white tank top underneath. That was enough to keep me warm from the temperature of about 55 degrees. I could see my breath dancing in the sunset as my mind raced upon many life factors.

Grandmamma and Paul were engaged. This newly life altering experience was still sinking into my troubled brain. I tried to like Paul, I did, I really did, something rubbed me the wrong way about him and I thought I should have Uncle Frank run a background check on him this Friday, when Grandmamma wasn't looking of course, I laughed to myself at the thought of her catching us performing such a heinous act.

I missed my bracelet, I had kept looking at my wrist as if to touch it to remember, it was a gift from my estranged parents. I would go back to the spot I had memory of wearing it last, to the park where I saw the vision of Collin raping and Murdering poor Cindy. There had been much buzz about that incident as Colin had the gall to return to school. People treated him rudely and he endured much torment even for so early on in the school year, I felt kind of sorry for him, when I thought back to that vision I had, he didn't seem to know what he was doing when the crime went down, he seemed possessed by some kind of dark demon, maybe he was. Maybe, that was the evil in him, which I was seeing. Perhaps, it was of his own volition, to rape and murder Cindy, and that’s what the evil looked like, to someone like me, whatever, whoever I was.

Damian was constantly on my mind since that day in the park, when I had ran into him, after seeing that vision. I had continued to question his perfect timing, why he would be out there in the park as early as I was? Was he stalking me? Maybe, I was questioning life too hard, and somehow, it was just fate and so I would let it go. 

I felt as though Damian White had known a secret about me that no-one else did even though I hadn't told him the whole truth about what really happened, just moments before I crashed into his amazing arms. Part of me wanted to tell him and I didn't understand why, I would want to tell something so secret to a practical stranger as opposed to my best friends, or even my Grandmamma.

Then there was that weird experience I had in the bathroom the other day. What was that strange shadow that had passed outside the window? These shadows, I had seen them before, by the pool on my fifth birthday and also the day my parents were gone. Whatever they were, they seemed to appear sporadically and disappear when I commanded them to leave.

I didn't understand who I had become and sometimes it was strange experiences like those that made me seriously question who I was. Was I some kind of witch? There had been other strange occurrences which I not told a single soul about, things like pages turning in books while I read them, straws moving in drinks that I had prepared. All of these things would happen when I would 'zone out' or concentrate on them for a while, it was surreal and I couldn’t be sure if it was real, or if it was a dream when it happened.

I was Violet Varden, a girl from Troy, New York, whose parents went missing when she was nine. I had never had a serious boyfriend, nor any interest in one till now. I had two amazing besties, Crys and Gerri, one annoying, yet trustworthy appendage, Ollie, a Grandmamma who loved me and I loved her and one furry fuzz ball of a feline friend, Salem. Technically, I had a great life and should have been grateful and I was. (Or at least I tried to be.) Regardless of that wonderful life, I still had a piece of my heart. I had questions to which I just needed to know the answers. My soul was incomplete.