Chapter 25: Somewhat Sweet Sixteen

Chapter 25

Somewhat Sweet Sixteen

My 16th Birthday had finally come, September 30th 2013. Just two more years and I would finally be out of high school. I had never felt as if I belonged in high school. I somehow wished, I could enjoy my high school years much more than I did, but if I tried to convince myself I enjoyed high school and I actually wanted to be there, I knew I'd just be lying to myself. I sometimes wished, I was much more normal than I really was but having a sweet sixteen birthday party to look forward to, gave me that satisfactory feeling of complacency, that most teenagers probably felt as normal.

I had woken up rather early, as I usually did, at 5:30 am. I had to fight the urge to go running, even though it was a dazzling day, since there was so much to be done, in preparation for my sweet sixteenth birthday party. I thought to myself, maybe I should take it easy, or maybe I deserved to take it easy, since I had just earned the school record for the 1600 meter race yesterday at the track meet against Delmar. 

Why was I always like this? Why was I always thinking about 15,000 different things upon waking up, but most of them were worries? Why did I worry at all? I guessed it was just natural, I supposed it was just who I was, a worry wart. I wondered if that would ever change, if I would ever become Zen, or one with the universe, as I laid in bed for about forty five minutes, opening and closing my eyes, falling in and out of a light sleep, until bright laser beams of light had shone through the vanilla vertical blinds at my bay window and I gazed at the tiny particles of dust dancing around, it felt magical.

I wished that my parents could have been there to celebrate my sixteenth birthday with me, I hadn't seen or heard from my mom in my dreams since the first and the last time I had heard from her in my dreams earlier on that week. Maybe I was thinking about it too much or trying to see her again too intensely and preventing it from happening again somehow by trying too hard.

I took a deep breath and rose from my bed, stretching my arms and yawned loudly. I was wearing my winter plaid pajamas as it had grown rather chilly the night before. I fixed the pony tail in my long straight, medium brown hair, which was then turning red more than ever. I decided I should hop in the shower first, otherwise, I'd become too distracted by all of my birthday party preparations to concentrate on personal hygiene.

I stumbled over, tiredly, to my own personal bathroom, all decked out in purple bathroom rugs and a purple shower curtain with a purple window curtain to match. Gosh I was spoiled. I almost stepped on Salem, since he had gotten underneath my feet, as I was practically sleep walking on my way to the full bathroom.

“I'm sorry baby!” I said to Salem, as he grumpily meowed at me for being so inconsiderate.

“I'm sorry, Mr. Salem, I'm, half asleep, I probably couldn't see a freight train coming my way at this hour! It's a wonder I'm able to coherently jog at 5:30 am every morning!”

“Meooooooooow” Salem said and I giggled as he purred.

“Purrrrrrr Purrrrrrrr” Salem was satisfied with my apology.

I placed him down and he hopped up on my bed and curled up in a ball at the foot, which was his favorite thing to do, besides get underneath my feet! I grinned and headed for the bathroom.

“What the ...” I said extremely loudly. “My Hair!” I said as I picked up pieces of my hair to inspect it. My hair had turned quite the auburn red at this point and despite the strangeness of it all, it was such a fabulous color!

“Happy birthday to me, I guess.” I said as I gave up on pondering how the color or my hair could have changed so quickly. Guess I'm a redhead now, I said as I disrobed for my shower. I was losing my summer tan and becoming milkier in complexion. I decided the September skin I was acquiring went well with the new hair color and at least I didn't have to sit at the hairdressers and spend hundreds of dollars to get such a rare hair color, it was totally natural! I washed my hair and my body and wrapped a towel around my body as I exited the shower. Since it was so early in the morning and therefore chilly, I had taken a considerably hot shower and the steam was overpowering my view of the mirror, despite the fan going, so I opened the window and guess who I could hear? Miss Perdue; barking at her Labrador Retriever to hurry up and “go”! Despite the cackling of her shrill and unpleasant voice, I decided to keep the bathroom window open anyway, so that I could blow dry my hair and apply my make-up.