Labor Day // Part One

Rain dropped steadily from the sky, adding to the puddles of mud and water already collected on the ground

Rain dropped steadily from the sky, adding to the puddles of mud and water already collected on the ground. The sky was dark with clouds as thunder rumbled above. The world was dreary. It was cold and unforgiving to many.

The brick exterior of the large building kept the noises outside to a dull hum, almost silent. The amount of concrete and lack of love and humanity made it a prison. It too, was cold and unforgiving.

The same itchy blue dress covered my pale skin as it had the past three months except for today, Sister Woodhouse allowed me to wear a white sweater to keep somewhat warm. It did nothing against the freezing air and the lack of blankets but I would take what I could get.

The laundry room was empty except for me and the stacks of endless laundry that I was given to do in the next few hours. The only indication I could find of the restless storm outside was the soft pattering of the rain on the windows, the drops slowly making their way down the glass. It seemed like it had rained every day that I had been here. It was almost as if the world was as upset as I was.

My braids pinched at my scalp, Sister Livingston having pulled them too tight as she always did, but it was protocol in her opinion. Soft curls weren't accepted with the Sisters, as I had learned. Prim and proper seemed to be burned into their mind like a mantra and it was clear in every single room that happiness wasn't permitted with them.

My hands shook as I shoved another batch of uniforms into the washer before starting the machine up. The burn scars on my hand stared back at me as I pressed the buttons, sending me into a series of flashbacks. This is how it had been the past few weeks. Anything that reminded me of Jughead, of my life before this caused a slideshow of memories to fly in front of my eyes as if I would never see them again. I would take the Black Hood and Clifford Blossom over this any day.

As I sat and started folding the dry clothes, my mind wandered to my friends. I wondered how Archie was holding up, if Veronica was helping him or if Hiram had her confined. I thought about Betty and if she was recovering from everything her father had caused. I hoped that Cheryl and Toni had gotten the best summer together on their road trip, that they were happy. And then I thought about Jughead. Was everything okay with him and the Serpents? Was his dad still home? And what about Penny and the Ghoulies?

"Savanna, it's time for the viewing." Sister Pattinson's voice broke me out of my thoughts as I set the folded shirts in a basket. I grabbed the table to pull myself up, my exhausted body managing to force itself up into movement once again.

The walk to the viewing room was silent but I could tell Sister Pattinson was analyzing my every move and watching for any sign of struggle. If I was honest, every move required immense effort but I had managed to hide it. The amount of medicine and physical activity was tearing at my system and slowly breaking it apart. I had caught myself from falling countless times and saw the world spin at least twice a day.

I quickly found a spot in the viewing room towards the back amongst the five other patients that had been cleared to show up. Two nurses kept watch like soldiers by the door near Sister Pattinson and Sister Livingston. Ever since Cheryl's escape, security measures had become much tighter than I wished for and getting out was going to be a fight.