Prologue

It's the calm before the storm

It's the calm before the storm. The summer before your junior year in high school. And how do you spend it? Working some brutal summer job that actually makes you look forward to going back to school. Or maybe you have an internship that doesn't pay much, but... that's okay, because it's for a good cause. Or maybe you spent it at Sweetwater Swimming Hole. You, and the best friends you'll ever have. Or maybe you spend it trying to find your missing girlfriend, who nobody's seen since the summer started...

I have always been a firm believer in karma, that everyone deserved what was given to them. I mean, after your father tears your life apart and your mom and brother commit suicide, it's hard to feel like you don't deserve any of it. You question every motive, every action you've ever made. You become paranoid, numb even. Nothing phases you anymore, whether it be a scratch on the cheek or being left behind.

You'd think after everything I'd been through, I'd be numb to pain. Well, I was. I had been numb since the nurses put me under in the Riverdale High School parking lot. I was a shell of the person I used to be. The Sisters' made sure to reopen every wound I had worked to sew closed. Every mistake, every heartbreak, they brought every ounce of pain back. It was like they thrived to see people in agony.

"I see you haven't taken your medicine yet, Savanna."

My eyes remained on my lap, a place my gaze rarely left anymore. I had learned it was better to remain silent and let the sisters yell than speak up to defend myself. In the short span of a month, I had gone from a confident, loving teenager to a broken, silent puppet.

"Look at me when I'm speaking to you!" Sister Livingston smacked her hand against the door frame, the sound making me flinch. I moved my eyes up to see her standing near the closed door with a furious expression on her face. "You haven't taken your medicine."

"I feel fine without it." My voice was almost silent, the raspy tone makine me appear weaker than I wanted. "It just makes me sleepy anyways."

Sister Livingston chuckled and shook her head. Her footsteps echoed on the cold concrete floor as she approached me. Her fingers grabbed my pale cheeks roughly, making me face her. "Are you challenging an order?" I shook my head as much as I could with her tight grip. She nodded in satisfaction before letting go to grab the various pills on the table next to my bed. Shoving them in my hand, she looking at me strictly. "Take them."

I bit back a whimper but dropped the three different pills into my mouth and swallowed them dry. Sister Livingston patted my head affectionately as I fought back the tears in my eyes.

I was exhausted. The medicine they were constantly shoving down my throat was literally breaking me apart from the inside out. I could barely move on my own, sleep was an escape, and I just wanted to disappear.

"Now, since you complied so well, I guess I can allow you a visitor."

My breath caught in my throat as I looked at her again, an inch of hope sparking in my chest. Had Veronica finally found out where I was? Did she bring Jughead? Could I leave? Sister Livingston seemed to read my thoughts as she went towards the door, opening it to reveal the reason I was prisoner in the first place.