American Dreams // Part One

It was odd having another human in my apartment with me, but I loved having Betty's presence around

It was odd having another human in my apartment with me, but I loved having Betty's presence around. Our friendship had gotten off track over the past few months, and I was glad we were spending time together and fixing everything that we were missing out on.

Betty had gotten a call from her mom about some old clothes she found in the basement and asked her to come pick them up, hence the reason I was walking up the steps to the Cooper household bright and early on a Monday morning.

"Is this everything?" Betty asked as she pointed to the two boxes left by the door.

Alice nodded. "Yes, and Elizabeth, do you have something to talk to me about?" Alice pointed towards the scorched sitting area.

Betty pursed her lips and shook her head. "Nope, not that I can think of."

My jaw threatened to drop as I pieced together Betty's actions from the other night. Betty Cooper tried to burn her own house down. I shook my head, knowing it was a story for later before grabbing a box and following Alice out of the front door. To my shock, the entire Jones family was standing on the pathway leading up to the house.

"What the hell is Alice Cooper doing in my house?" Gladys was shocked as were the rest of us as we all stared at each other.

Alice faltered in her step. "FP?"

Betty bumped into my back as she stepped out of the doorway. "Jug?"

"Gladys?" My eyes locked with the woman in front of me as I could see her asking a million questions in her mind.

Jellybean threw her hands in the air. "Oh, so I've been demoted to the unknown one. Thanks, Jughead." She flicked her older brother in the shoulder to which he brushed off.

"Mrs. Jones," Betty repeated as she made the connection. "Are you the anonymous buyer?"

Gladys was proud to admit such a statement and waited until we placed Betty's remaining items in my car before we walked back into the house. My left arm wrapped around Jughead's back as I stood next to him, his right hand sliding in my back jeans pocket as we observed the charred living room.

"What the hell happened here?" FP asked as he looked at the black wall.

"Oh, uh, we had a minor mishap with a candle. Nothing that a fresh coat of paint or a new set of curtains won't fix," Alice explained as JB took off up the stairs to check the rest of the house out.

Betty shook her head, her hands flying in multiple directions as she tried to get a grasp of things. "I am so confused. You sold our house to the Joneses?" She asked as she looked at her mom incredulity.

"Not to me," Both FP and Jughead replied at the same time, probably feeling guilty they were even in this situation to begin with.

"I bought it," Gladys stated with zero regrets. "I made an all-cash offer online."