The Great Escape // Part Three

My knee bounced anxiously beneath me as I waited by the drain exit that Kevin had located earlier before taking off after Joaquin

My knee bounced anxiously beneath me as I waited by the drain exit that Kevin had located earlier before taking off after Joaquin. Veronica had set the plan in motion a few minutes before, with herself, Josie, and Reggie inside the building to cause the distraction for the guards when the moment came. While this was going on, Betty was doing whatever she could to stall the guards' pursuit that was sure to follow.

My hands tugged at the lock that kept the pipe covered. The bobby pin in my hand snapped under the force of all my anger, making me groan and punch the metal. I ripped another one out of my curled hair and forced it in the lock, just as fingers wrapped around the bars.

"Archie!" I gasped as I finally tugged the lock open and pulled Archie from the pipe and onto the ground. My fingers brushed the dirt and blood from his cheeks as best as I could while he fought for his breath.

"Vanna," He panted as his hands clutched his side. "You okay?"

"Yeah," I nodded as I let out a sigh of relief. "Yeah, I'm good."

His eyes caught the jacket across my back. "And you're a Serpent?"

"Long story," I disregarded the comment as I followed down his body to where his hands were pressing against his skin. "You're bleeding. Here." I helped him shift to wrap the extra Southside jacket I had brought. "We have to move as fast as we can."

Archie grunted as I helped him off the ground, pressing my glove covered hands to his side. I pulled his arm around my shoulder as we made our way up the grass covered slope. Betty was waiting a few feet away near Jughead's bike with Kevin right behind her.

"Archie!" She yelped and rushed to his side, instantly taking him into her arms. "Veronica's right around the corner. Can you make it?"

"Yeah, I think so," Archie hissed as he shifted his weight.

Betty nodded and pulled him closer. "Let's go." She turned to me, giving a quick nod before beginning to assist Archie to where the car was waiting.

"Kev?" I hummed as I moved to straddle Jughead's bike, snapping his helmet on my head. "Ready?"

The Keller boy, clad in a Serpent jacket, gave a reassuring nod as he situated himself behind me. "As I'll ever be."

The engine roared to life beneath us as I took over, circling back past the juvie in order to pull the guards on our tail. Their motorcycles spurred behind us as we raced through the forest, the trees a blur next to us as I took turn after turn.

My heart raced as I glanced back to see the guards only a few feet from Jughead's bike as we took a sharp right. My eyes landed on the speedometer, watching as it climbed from 40 to 50 and higher. Turning back once more, I saw the bikes had disappeared.

Kevin's arms squeezed me tightly, forcing my head to whip back around to see we were blocked, and quickly surrounded. I forced the bike to a stop, feeling the tires slide on the rocks to place us sideways in the middle of the cop force. Warden Norton stared right at us as Kevin shifted to pull his helmet off, revealing that he was, in fact, not Archie Andrews.