Fortune and Men's Eyes // Part One

As much as I wanted everything to be slowly piecing itself back together, it definitely was not

As much as I wanted everything to be slowly piecing itself back together, it definitely was not. In fact, since the moment Veronica told me that Archie pleaded guilty in the courtroom, I knew nothing was going to be easy.

I had been trying to offer my sister as much moral support as I possibly could but it wasn't easy considering I was still stuck in the hospital. And for what I knew, I wasn't going to be leaving any time soon.

Even if I did, I had nowhere to go. I couldn't leech off the Jones family after this. There was no way in hell I was going anywhere near the Pembrooke either. I didn't know what I was going to do.

"Good morning, sweet sister of mine," Veronica hummed as she interrupted my thoughts while walking in the room. A bag of food was in her hands as she closed the door before making her way to me. "How are you today?"

"Same as yesterday." I shrugged in response and watched as she began eating pieces of food from the bag. "Did you talk to Cheryl about the presidency?"

The tension between Veronica and Cheryl was a bit childish in my opinion, but I understood why she was upset. This was Archie, after all. Anything that had to do with him, Veronica was front and center.

"She suggested something to me, the Innocence Project. Said she looked into it when she was accused of Jason's murder," She explained.

"Any help is good help," I mumbled as I grabbed my phone from the charger. No notifications popped up, which didn't surprise me, but struck a chord regardless. I hadn't heard much from Jughead in the past twenty-four hours and I didn't want to jump to conclusions, but I had a feeling something was wrong.

"The problem with it, is I don't know how to get it approved," Veronica huffed as she threw her garbage away.

I looked at her incredulously. "Mom's mayor. An indorsement from her would jump start everything."

She nodded as she sat back down on the bed. "How's your recovery going? Did Dr. Ross ever get your test results?"

I nodded, swallowing the bile in my throat at her words as I avoided her eyes. "Yeah, something about getting my levels back to normal or something."

"It's much more than getting your levels back to normal, Savanna," Dr. Ross' voice interrupted our conversation as she entered the room with a clipboard in her hand. "I told you that."

"Told her what?" Veronica glanced at me before facing the older woman. "What's going on?"

"Veronica, stop. It's not-"

"No!" She cut me off with a stern glare. "I'm done with you keeping secrets about this. I deserve to know."

I sank back against the bed as she looked to Dr. Ross expectantly. It wasn't that I wanted to keep everything from Veronica, I didn't, but if she knew, she'd worry more and change her focus from Archie to me. The last thing I wanted was everyone worrying about me more.