The Man in Black // Part One

The Pembrooke was tense with silence as I made my way to Veronica's bedroom

The Pembrooke was tense with silence as I made my way to Veronica's bedroom. Her sadness of Archie's departure had eventually turned into one of rage towards Hiram which in turn led to her decision to move in with me.

Luckily, said demon wasn't in the apartment at the moment, leaving me to assist my sister with her packing of the essentials. Her indecisive nature led to a mixture of outfits, shoes, and necessities filling her suitcase to the brim.

"Push harder!" She grunted as she tried to force the zipper shut.

"Ronnie, I'm literally sitting on it!" I hissed back as I tried to force all my body weight down even further. "This isn't going to work. You're gonna have to ditch the four sets of Louis Vuttion heels, love."

Veronica glared at me before pulling the zipper an inch further. "Over my dead body," She mumbled as pulled harder. I stood up on top of the suitcase before bouncing slightly. "Aha!" She cheered when the zipper finally pulled shut, allowing me to climb back on the soft comforter over her bed. "Perfect."

"What are you doing?"

A new voice made me freeze in my spot before I let out my breath. It was only Mom. She was standing in the doorway, looking absolutely taken back by Veronica's current actions of piling her jewelry into her purse.

"I'm leaving the Pembrooke," Ronnie answered simply, as if it were obvious, which, it kinda was.

Mom sighed and shut Veronica's door behind her. "Veronica, I realize that you're upset about Archie, but you can't just go running after him."

"Save your breath, Mom. I'm not going after Archie," My sister defended as she sat on the edge of her bed.

Mom tilted her head slightly as she glanced at me before facing her daughter again. "Okay, then what's this all about?"

Ronnie pursed her lips before snatching the newspaper off her dresser and handing it to Mom. "Convenient, isn't it?" She sarcastically asked, "Sheriff Minetta goes missing just as I find ironclad evidence that he coerced those Shadow Lake boys into giving false testimony."

"Minetta was a corrupt man," Mom attempted to explain. "He had many enemies."

I scoffed from my spot against the pillows. "Is that a murder confession?"

"Okay, girls," Mom sighed as she grabbed Veronica's hands, "First of all, I sincerely hope that you don't believe I'm capable of-"

"We honestly don't know what to believe anymore," Veronica interrupted, "Which is why I'm leaving this house of horrors while I still can." There was a moment of silence as the two of us looked at Mom before Ronnie spoke up again, "Maybe you should too."

Mom sighed, "He's my husband."

"Right," I huffed as I climbed off the bed, collecting Veronica's suitcase in my grasp. "Well, you and the devil himself can pop open a bottle of Cristal because he finally did it. He finally won. He finally drove his two daughters away, for good."