Labor Day // Part Three

The ride back to Jughead's trailer was peaceful with the night sky above us and the quiet hum of the motorcycle

The ride back to Jughead's trailer was peaceful with the night sky above us and the quiet hum of the motorcycle. Trees had passed by in a blur and before I knew it, I was pulling the helmet from my head and walking up the stairs into the Jones' trailer.

Jughead closed the door once we were inside, flicking the lights on as he did. The trailer looked as it always had, bringing me a sense of comfort as I took in my surroundings.

"Dad's out right now so," He trailed off as he walked into his dad's room and started shuffling through the drawers. A pair of Jug's sweatpants and his t-shirt were thrown in my direction before the drawers slammed shut. He moved out of the room to make food, giving me privacy to rid myself of the uncomfortable uniform I had been in for the past three months.

Looking in the mirror, I gently pulled the bows from my braids and unraveled my hair, letting the loose curls finally roam free down my back. My head ached from being pulled so tightly for so long.

I made my way back out into the kitchen and threw the blue uniform in the garbage, somewhat satisfied with the action. It was a weight off my shoulders to finally be out of the scratchy fabric and back into the comfort of normal clothing.

I stood near the table, almost afraid to touch anything or move anywhere else. I didn't know my place anymore. Three months without seeing anyone important with me had thrown me back to the beginning. They had all moved along without me just fine.

"What's on your mind?" Jughead turned away from the stove where he was making soup to face me.

"I can't stay here, Jug," I blurted as I met his eyes. "It's putting a target on your back, and your dad, who knows what he's going to say when he finds out I'm here. I'm not worth any of-"

"No, you're not doing this to me. You're not giving up." He closed the space between us, a solemn look on his face.

I shook my head as I looked away from him, knowing the eye contact would only make me give in. "You deserve better than this," I whispered.

Jughead's hands made me flinch as he gently grabbed my arms. "I deserve you. Whatever lies they spewed you were wrong, Savanna. It's been hell without you. Betty, Veronica, and I have been working nonstop to get you and Archie back with us, safe and sound. Toni and Cheryl, too."

I blinked a few times at his confession, still unable to meet his gaze. My mind was swirling with the events of tonight and a headache was already pulsing to life. I couldn't process anything fast enough. All I could think about was the fact that Hiram Lodge would know of my escape sooner than later and I would have to face that nightmare all too soon.

--

The clock screamed 3:03 a.m. when I shot off the couch gasping for breath.

Jughead startled awake next to me with no trace of sleep in his features as he reached for me. I could feel my lungs struggling to take in air as my fingers rested against my throat.