No Exit // Part Two

i swear i'm not forgetting about this i'm just so out of ideas

--

Pop's felt different, homier almost, with Jughead back by my side. The two of us were sitting at our usual booth waiting for the arrival of the one and only Betty Cooper. I hadn't been able to talk to her about everything that happened while she was at the Sisters of Quiet Mercy, but apparently, she managed to round all of those being held there to escape before riot night and they were all currently living in the Cooper house, unbelievably.

"Wow, am I glad to see you guys," Betty's voice arrived before I saw her as she slid into the booth next to me. "My life has been absolutely crazy. You have no idea."

"Glad to have you back, Bets," I welcomed as I slid a plate of pancakes towards her. "How's everything been since... you know?"

Betty sighed and asked Pop for water before folding her hands in her lap. "A whirlwind, Vanna. Every inch of my house is taken by a sleeping human that I helped escape. I barely make it an entire night without being woken up by one of them. Mom's seconds away from chopping my head off," She sighed and took a bite of pancakes before continuing, "The only good thing that came out of this was me being back home and finally getting some answers."

"What about the Fizzle Rocks? Did they say anything about that at all?" Jughead asked.

Betty nodded, "Surprisingly, yes. Hannah woke me up screaming this morning because of a nightmare and I found a pack. Turns out, they said they're getting them from an unnamed Serpent."

I shared a look with Jug, both of us puzzled. "An unnamed Serpent dealing Fizzle Rocks? Are we sure he wasn't lying? That sounds more like a Ghoulie thing to do."

Betty shrugged. "If it was a lie, Tyler came up with it pretty quickly."

Jughead groaned and rubbed his hands over his face. "A Serpent dealing Hiram Lodge's drugs like we're one of his gangs. This is my fault. I was gone for too long. I left the Serpents high and dry. I left all of you."

"Jug, no," I shook my head as Betty agreed with me. "You were protecting Archie."

"Yeah, and while I was protecting the Red Paladin, Hiram made a play for the entire town and he got it. Fizzle Rocks are everywhere, Weatherbee's running Riverdale High like a police state, we don't even have an elected sheriff yet, the quarantine."

Betty pointed at Jughead as she remembered something. "About that. Why would he want the town quarantined? It can't just be because he wants to expand his candy business and make more money, can it? Hiram was paying the Sisters to test out his drugs on patients there."

"What?" I interrupted as I faced her. "Are you serious? How can he get away with that?"

Betty shrugged. "Your mom's in the mayor's office. Attorney McCoy and I are trying to get Sister Woodhouse and the rest of her nuns to rat him out, and we're close, I think."