Meeting the Mystery

Stiles

I'm finally myself, I have control, and I don't need to hurt people anymore. I no longer feel that sickening rush when blood is spilled by my own doing. I close my eyes tightly, not wanting to remember all of the terrible things I have done the past few weeks.

I sit in my bed and stare at the walls around me, millions of pictures covering the walls, and thousands of red strings connecting the photos, most of them connecting back to my bed. I pluck at the red string closest to me, a light sound resonating off of the fabric.

I sigh and scratch at the back of my neck. I need to clear my head, start over. Over the past couple of weeks I haven't had any control and I have hurt a lot of people, including my friends. I quickly stand up and head to the nearest wall. 

First I disconnect all of the red strings and throw them in the trash. Then I begin ripping down the photos. Pausing every now and then to look at the photo. I hold up a photo of Eichen House, shuddering at the memory, I rip the photo to shreds. I turn to see my dad standing in the hall way, an expression of concern etched onto his face. I awkwardly wave at him, pieces of the ripped up picture falling to the floor.

"What are you doing?" He nods at the mess in my room. 

"Just clearing my head." I respond turning back to my walls. A lot of the photos on my walls are ones I put up before the Nogitsune took over me. But I have noticed some that I don't remember adding. I'm almost done clearing one wall when a picture of a girl catches my attention. I gingerly remove it from the wall trying not to rip it. At first glance it looks like Malia, because I remember putting her picture up here when we were solving her case but it's not her. This girl has olive colored skin, and piercing blue eyes. Her wavy dark hair covers one of her eyes and falls just below her shoulders. I stare at her eyes, something about them seem distant. Like she was looking at the camera when the photo was being taken but her thoughts were somewhere else. I scratch the back of my neck trying to recall the girl. 

It must be a picture I put up when I was the Nogitsune because her face seems familiar but I can't remember her. I put the picture on the side and return to clearing the walls. Eventually I find the photo of Malia that I put up. I hold Malia's photo next to the other girl's photo. They look similar but something about the other girl seems stranger, almost alluring.

She must have a connection to the paranormal. If I did this while I was the Nogitsune I need to find out what her connection his. What if I did something to her? I throw Malia's photo in the trash and put the other girl's photo back on my desk. I wish I would have left the strings up because then I could have at least figured out what she was connected to. 

I stare at my bare walls. It took me an hour to clear everything. I only kept one photo. I go back to my desk and pick up the photo of the girl. It's just something about her that seems so familiar but not, at the same time. I pick up my phone and call Scott. 

"Hey, buddy, how ya doing?" Scott answers in a careful tone. He's been speaking to me like that ever since I was rid of the Nogitsune. Things have been off between us since Allison.... 

"Hey," I reply, "I was going through my stuff and- you know my case board- wall- walls really?" 

"Um, ya, I think so." 

"Well I was clearing it and, well I found something, you know what, I'm coming over." I rush. I hang up the phone quickly not giving Scott a chance to respond and I grab the picture. I shout a quick goodbye to my dad and hop into my jeep.

I'm sitting at a stop light, drumming my thumbs on the steering wheel, when I notice something in the corner of my eye. I turn to see the girl from the picture sitting on a bench, literally like magic. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if it was.