11.

-Rod-

Last night had me thinking real hard

Last night had me thinking real hard. I didn't want to mess up Delilah's life more than it already was, so I had to do everything right. She needed to be stress free and I didn't want to be the cause of any more hurt she went through. I was willing to take it slow with her, because she deserved nothing but the best from me, and I was more than willing to give it to her. She was beautiful, and I cared about her happiness more than anything. Thoughts of being inside her roamed through my mind. She was soaking wet last night, but I didn't want to take advantage of her when she was vulnerable, I wanted her to be ready.

The shit with me and Brenda, was dead. What was the point in turning backwards, when I had something fresh in front of me? Delilah wasn't even my girl, and she already made me happy. She was different from Brenda, she actually listened to me.

I reached over to her side of the bed, wanting to be close to her. She wasn't there. I assumed she was downstairs, grabbing something to eat. I got up from my spot, and stretched. Making my way down stairs, there was no sound.

I went into the kitchen, no Delilah.

After searching the house for a good 15 minutes, I came to the realization she wasn't here.

"Fuck." I mumbled to myself.

-Delilah-

Waking up this morning, I felt the need to clear my head. My feelings for Rod was all over the place. I liked him, no doubt, but fear was holding me back from something that could be great. I didn't want to be disappointed.

I decided to take a stroll down the block, to clear my head, and really get to the bottom of my emotions.

I snuck out of the bed, able to make it out the door without waking him in the process.

The wind hit my face, instantly relaxing me. There was nothing like fresh air, at a time like this.

"Excuse me." I said to the man I accidentally bumped into.

"No problem. Please watch where you're going, it's dangerous out here, and there's no telling the mindset of anybody else you may bump in to." He stared into my face.

"Noted." I said nodding my head.

He took another look into my face, squinting his eyes, as if he had seen me somewhere before.

Feeling creeped out, I began to make my way back home.

Using the spare key I had taken with me, I unlocked the door, heading back upstairs, hoping Rod was still asleep.

I peeked into the room before entering, seeing that the bed was empty.

I eased my way back into the sheets, closing my eyes and drifting back to sleep.

"Where were you?" I was awakened by the sound of Rod's deep voice, scaring me out of my sleep.

"I just went for a walk." I swallowed, knowing he wouldn't have anything good to say.

"Out in these streets? Alone?" He shook his head. "Stupid shit ma."

"I made it back, didn't I?" I looked up to see the displeasure upon his face.

"You missing the point. Something could have happened to you. You out in the streets by yourself, unarmed. Ain't no telling who you could have ran into." He spoke.

"Can we just drop it?" I asked.

"No. You doing dumb shit. You could have walked around the house since you was bored." He cut his eyes at me, clenching his jaw.

"Look Rod, I have one dad, and I don't even know the mother fucker. I don't need you telling me what I can and can't do. Who are you to try to control my every move. I needed to clear my mind, I been in this house for so long, I forgot what sunlight even looked like." I raised my voice a little. I was growing tired of him trying to tell me when and where to do things, and how I'm supposed to do it. I'm a grown woman, and I was tired of being talked to like a child.

"What would have been wrong about telling me you were leaving? You don't have a phone or nothing, so how was I supposed to know you were safe?" He barked.

"You didn't. But I'm here, so please." I turned over, pretty much done with the conversation.

The room grew silent. I knew he was just looking out for me, but the way he was going about it, was really blowing me. I've been controlled by my mom for my whole life, I wasn't looking for a say so from someone else, which reminded me, it was time I found myself a job even though that was "against the rules."

I began to think about the man from earlier. I had never seen him in my life, but he obviously knew me from somewhere. I thought maybe he was someone my mother had sold me to, which made my skin crawl. Maybe Rod was right. Maybe staying in the house was what was best for me right now.